RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New Test Server

CablDeViL

I finally have time this week to set up my new test server. I have a quad core AMD that can support Virtualization with 1 TB OS drive and 6 gig of mem. I would like to run Win7, Whs1, Vail, and Linux on the box (Not at the same time) what is the best way I should go about it.

Thanks All

Take a look at Xenserver from Citrix. I have been using it to run my "Super Router" (ie, pfSense & Untangle) for a couple of months and it has been rock solid.

ESXi and Hyper-v are free Hypervisors

Or install Windows 7 and run Virtual PC or VMWare

Your options really come down to VMWare or Hyper-V. Both are free and support 64-bit guests. Virtual PC unfortunately only supports 32-bit guests, so you wouldn't be able to host Vail.

Thanks guys. I am installing Hyper-v r2 now! This will be a fun experience since I have only used virtualization on the host OS before never on the hardware level.

Ok now that I have hyper-v installed on the server I cannot do much. From what I read I have to install hyperv remote management and set up the server from another pc?

Had the same issue and it was a bit unfriendly. Thanks to Jim on HSS, I just tried Oracle's virtual box and it is the best I have tried so far.

I had trouble getting VMWare (EXSi) to run on my hardware baremetal, which is why I went with Xenserver. Give it a try if you are still having trouble.

Ops, I should read more before posting. Even with Xenserver, you have to load the management software on another computer. I think with a bremetal install, the thinking is it would be headless for the most part. If you want to use the server for a connected monitor, you may not want a baremetal install and instead using something like Virtualbox. I have something like 20 different operating systems loaded on my Virtualbox machine, with Windows 7 as the host.

Mike

Edited by geek-accountant
  • Like 1

I loaded the management tools on my other computer but I ran out of time to test. I will follow up tonight.

it would be easier to load up a host OS and run VM from there but baremetal seems so kewl to play with.