RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Degraded (Rebuilding) ....how long?

phillips321

Guys,

Just swapped the CPU out in my machine. Upon reboot i noticed drive 4 was missing, thus i shutdown, checked cables, and rebooted. Drive 4 was found but now the server status says Degraded (Rebuilding) I'm using 4x2TB drives as RAID 1+0.

How long will it take to rebuild the drives so i'm back to optimum performance?

Many thanks

Screen_Shot_2015_03_05_at_13_05_01.jpg

Ouch, just for a loose cable? I was hoping replacing the drive would just get it going again :-( I Guess when ESX started it wrote to the other drive so updates were not elected on the missing drive? Now it needs to clone the active drive to the one that was missing?

The rebuild shouldn't really affect your use of the server very much. It should progress in the background.

And, yes, a loose cable will cause a mirror to be broken. It's not really the minor issue you seem to think it is. Basically, the system lost access to a drive, leading to a broken mirror. Now, the system has to go through the whole process of syncing the mirrored drives again.

One of the reasons rebuilds take a long time is that, normally, they're designed to not be obtrusive, so that you can still use the system.

I shutdown and rechecked the cables (i think the 4xSATA connector to the mob was the fault)

Upon reboot it asked me if i wanted to rebuild, i think i pressed F5 or something like that to accept rebuild. :-(

Didn't notice, it just booted into ESXi and started my VMs. The only reason i noticed was because i went into iLO to check the CPU status of new cpu and the temp. I saw it said degraded and the disk was missing for bay4.

I just hope that tomorrow this is all sorted, LED bar on bottom of server is still flashing orange, i guess that's because it's still rebuilding. Shame there's no 'progress meter'

On the first reboot, the B120i would have presented a bad or missing drive error. If you had caught that and shut down to fix the cable there would not have been a rebuild. If it gets no response to the error, it will mark the drive as failed. Then after you fixed the cable it sees the drive as new and rebuilds it. Here is a good document. http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03326739