RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ESXi on SSD help

Simon_

Hello, 

I have installed vSphere 5.5 U2 Nov 2014 onto an SSD (In SATA5) on my HP Gen 8. The SSD has been setup into Raid0, and I received an error message about the SSD having no cache. AHCI has been turned off in the BIOS.

After ESXI/vSphere has installed through HP intelligent provisioning and reboots, it boots into ESXI final setup phase and I get the following error message:

9UUgUwN.png

Whats going wrong?

Thank you for the help. 

I intend to use the free version of vShpere - Does this mean that I can still use the web client to manage my vm's as I only have an OSX laptop? or should I look into xenserver?

Edited by Simon_

You need to use the old C# client for the free version of ESXi. It is only officially released for Windows. I'm not sure how easy it is to get it running under another OS without a full Windows install in a VM.

The web client needs vCenter which needs a paid license. Even if it didn't need a license, you'd run into problems with memory as vCenter wants 8GB minimum.

That was my thinking too.

I have purchased 8gb of Ram

This server will just be for my home lab. Is it true that I will no longer be able to power one and off the VMs after the trail has expired?

Yes. If you've got a trial license for ESXi and it expires then you lose the ability to do anything with VMs. You need to type in a different license key to get everything working again. A license for the free version will work but you'll be limited to the features in that.

There is a hack (!!) that involves modifying a python script to change the minimum RAM requirement if you can't wait for a RAM upgrade: http://dtucker.co.uk/hack/bypassing-the-memory-check-on-a-vmware-esxi-5.html

I tried this on 5.5U1, but I couldn't even get into a console (Alt+F1?). It would just immediately PSOD.  I ended up just waiting for my extra RAM.

Depending on what route you want to go down and what you're interested in (this is my intention at some point -- probably on a separate machine with a monitoring system like Zabbix), you could try managing it using something like OpenStack..

Edited by syner

• 2 months later...

There is a hack (!!) that involves modifying a python script to change the minimum RAM requirement if you can't wait for a RAM upgrade: http://dtucker.co.uk/hack/bypassing-the-memory-check-on-a-vmware-esxi-5.html

I tried this on 5.5U1, but I couldn't even get into a console (Alt+F1?). It would just immediately PSOD.  I ended up just waiting for my extra RAM.

Depending on what route you want to go down and what you're interested in (this is my intention at some point -- probably on a separate machine with a monitoring system like Zabbix), you could try managing it using something like OpenStack..

Same case!

I have RAM only 2GB and with Alt+F1 no prompt opened so as to execute commands. I Do same thing for ESXi 5.0 and works OK i set min memory to 1xGB and installed with success.

Did RAM arrived you?

Manged to installed ESXi 5.5 ?