RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Best Media Center for WHS 2011

Grant B

On my old Mediasmart, running WHS v1 and the included Twonky, I have no issues watching movies on my PS3.

I picked up WHS 2011 and dropped it onto a test PC and loaded some movies over to it and tried with Windows Media Center. When you simply fast forward on the PS3, it works, but when you pause and try and search with the small search screens at the bottom, it always errors out. Same movie, same PS3's (I have 2) and the only differences are the WHS and the Media Center.

Searching through the media centers available, Plex and such, made me wonder which one would run the best on WHS 2011?

If you are running a Media Center on your WHS 2011 box, which do you use and how well does it perform?

Cheers,

Grant

Hi,

I am running serviio. It is really easy and good working. I am using it with my Samsung TV and I can search, pause and all these things withou issues.

The best for me is, it is free.

I also had very good luck with Serviio when I tried to use the built in player from my TV. Biggest issue however was it wouldn't

play the DVD chapters continuously which was a real showstopper.

I now use Plex on 2011 and have been very happy with it, albeit one problem.. On occasion the server will not be visible. I'll

RDP into the server, open a browser window on the server and refresh the contents. It then works fine until the problem 

repeats itself at a later time. Otherwise, can't beat the whole Plex ecosystem. 

• Like 1

I don't know, Media Browser looks really good anymore.

The only issue I had is that the home theater app didn't like my HTPC's remote (a dealbreaker, as it nukes the WAF, since she's the one that uses it mostly).

I thought that Plex wouldn't run properly on WHS 2011? How about Kodi (XMBC)?

Would the server allow me to install several and test them?

Plex does run, but you need to log in to run it or set up something to run it without logging in (like using a scheduled task or a utility to run it as a service).

As for Kodi... I have MySQL installed on it, and use that for the database back end. 

http://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL/Setting_up_Kodi

I really like MediaBrowser Server, as it can run as a service native (eg, without having to log in).

And yes, you can install multiple services, as they use different ports for communication.

Thanks for all the responses everyone. Good to hear that I can install more than one at a time an play with them to see which suits me.

Time to play :)

• 4 weeks later...

Drashna,

Still playing - and have the family playing - and I am kind of leaning towards Plex. Nice interface and easy for the family to use. The only thing that is a bummer is that I cannot test it on the PS3's without buying their Plex Pass.