RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Greenfield WHS 2011 build on HP 40L to replace HP 485 V1

indiggio

That's a good idea. 'Course, the SSD will likely have a shorter lifespan, but if it's not much use for anything else, why not?

Shorter lifespan....

That's all relative. Those SSDs could last years or decades, depending.

But those spinners? If they're used for the same time, are more likely to fail sooner. :)

Shorter lifespan....

That's all relative. Those SSDs could last years or decades, depending.

But those spinners? If they're used for the same time, are more likely to fail sooner. :)

Not so sure about that. These older, smaller SSDs almost certainly don't have onboard wear levelling...

Not so sure about that. These older, smaller SSDs almost certainly don't have onboard wear levelling...

True, some of the older ones don't. But most that you can find for purchase now do include it.

I think it's worth mentioning the brilliant deals available on 160-180Gb Intel SSDs on the likes of eBay.  I've got 4 Intel drives I got off eBay, they were all system pulls, and all 4 of them were barely used, hour counts in single or double figures.  I like the Pro SSD 1500 180GB - it's fast, it runs cool, and uses less than 0.2W.  

As for SSDs wearing out, really unless you go out of your way to find a drive that's 3 or 4 years old, you're not going to run in to that issue.

My oldest SSD, a 64GB Crucial M4 is 3 years old, been used pretty much constantly, and is still at 99% life.  At that rate it'll be 300 years before it dies.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got my 2011 system up and running with the OS installed on an SSD, but I've not installed any data drives as of yet.

From the sounds of it, Stablebit Drivepool is the way to go.

Are there any tutorials around on installing Drivepool and also the data drives and how to set up the shares/directories like the old V1 Home Server?

Thanks!

Personally, I would install the data drives, partition and format them, then install DrivePool and start creating your pool(s). DrivePool is pretty straightforward to install and configure (at least with the default values). I would do some testing with pools before deciding on a final configuration.

• Like 1

I finally got my 2011 system up and running with the OS installed on an SSD, but I've not installed any data drives as of yet.

From the sounds of it, Stablebit Drivepool is the way to go.

Are there any tutorials around on installing Drivepool and also the data drives and how to set up the shares/directories like the old V1 Home Server?

Thanks!

:)

Depends on what you mean. If you're using WHS2011, then it will want to use "X:\ServerFolders\ShareName", similar to WHSv1.

If you have WHSv1 data still, then there is a guide on how to convert the v1 pool to StableBit DrivePool, and for use with WHS2011:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q5463715