RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Greenfield WHS 2011 build on HP 40L to replace HP 485 V1

indiggio

My old HP v1 system disk is getting increasingly louder and throwing sector errors, so it's getting about time I do something.

I purchased an HP 40L a while back when a deal came through, but have not yet done anything with it.

My question is in terms of drive recommendations for data drives and should I get an SSD to replace the main drive right off?

I'd like to get 2 data drives for redundancy, so what's the best method that everyone has found either to mimic the old v1 disk storage or should I go with what 2011 provides and be done with it.

Yes I could spend days, weeks, months perusing tons of old posts to try to come up to speed, but I don't think I have the time to do all that reading.

Really appreciate the input.

TIA,

Steve

^^ what he said. Stablebit DrivePool offers pretty much all the features included in Drive Extender, maybe even more. I definitely feel DrivePool is more reliable than DE.

You mentioned WHS2011. If you already own WHS2011, sure, I would go with it. It's going to have security updates until 2020.

You also mentioned using 2 drives for redundancy. Is that your backup plan? If so, and your data has any importance at all, it very likely is inadequate.

Here's the question I tell people to ask themselves: "How would you feel if you got up tomorrow and found all your data was gone?". If you say, "Meh", then no biggie, folder or drive mirroring is plenty. However, I've never met anyone who said that. If your data is important, then you really should look into a 3-2-1 backup strategy (a minimum of 3 copies of all data, data stored on a minimum of 2 different kinds of media, with a minimum of 1 copy of all data kept off site).

Yes, I already have a DVD of WHS 2011, so I'm good there, just have to find a drive to install it with!

Sorry, what I meant for redundancy was just for drive mirroring for short term loss prevention.

Any suggestions of data drives?  2 x 1TB drives are adequate for my current data needs now.

All the data I have on the WHS is backed up off the server using a 3-2-1 scheme.

Thanks to both for the Stablebit DrivePool recommendation, I'll go with that.

Is it worth the effort to replace the main drive with an SSD right off?   If so, what would be the recommended drive as of late?

Thanks!

Any suggestions of data drives?  2 x 1TB drives are adequate for my current data needs now.

All the data I have on the WHS is backed up off the server using a 3-2-1 scheme.

NAS type drives. WD Reds or Seagate NAS.

They're lower powered drives, but focus on performance and reliability, as well. Basically, they're designed for long uptime and performance.

They may be a bit pricier, but they're worth it.

Thanks to both for the Stablebit DrivePool recommendation, I'll go with that.

I'll third that recommendation, though I'm biased.

You mentioned the "throwing sectors errors". A shameless plug, but if you're going with StableBit DrivePool, then I highly recommend getting StableBit Scanner as well.

(if you already have it, great! you can use the existing license on the new machine, if you want, and you can get a license for DrivePool at a discounted price).

Is it worth the effort to replace the main drive with an SSD right off?   If so, what would be the recommended drive as of late?

Thanks!

Yes. OMG, yes. 

The performance difference between a SSD and a HDD is painfully obvious. If anything, it will make the dashboard very responsive. Which considering how bulky and poorly written it is.... makes it worth it for that alone.

But the entire system will be more responsive.

Though, you will have issues if the SSD is smaller than 160GB. There is a "cfg.ini" hack for that, though.

As for recommended drive? That' really depends on who you ask.

Samsung Pro, and Crucial SSDs are good drives in my experience.

Though I'd recommend against OCZ SSDs in general. I've personally had a lot of bad experiences with them.

You mentioned the "throwing sectors errors". A shameless plug, but if you're going with StableBit DrivePool, then I highly recommend getting StableBit Scanner as well.

(if you already have it, great! you can use the existing license on the new machine, if you want, and you can get a license for DrivePool at a discounted price).

Sorry, those are being thrown on my old WHS SMART drive monitor, which is what's prompting me to go through this upgrade.

Yes. OMG, yes. 

The performance difference between a SSD and a HDD is painfully obvious. If anything, it will make the dashboard very responsive. Which considering how bulky and poorly written it is.... makes it worth it for that alone.

But the entire system will be more responsive.

Though, you will have issues if the SSD is smaller than 160GB. There is a "cfg.ini" hack for that, though.

As for recommended drive? That' really depends on who you ask.

Samsung Pro, and Crucial SSDs are good drives in my experience.

Though I'd recommend against OCZ SSDs in general. I've personally had a lot of bad experiences with them.

Thanks!

I've been going through Joe_Miner's tutorial on installing 2011 on an SSD and if I go that route wouldn't get something less than 160GB just to reduce the headaches.

I've been going through Joe_Miner's tutorial on installing 2011 on an SSD and if I go that route wouldn't get something less than 160GB just to reduce the headaches.

I completely agree. At one time, when SSDs were very new, the workaround made a lot of sense, because it saved you more than $100 on an SSD. These days, SSDs larger than 160GB aren't that expensive, so I don't feel the workaround is needed so much.

If you have an older/smaller SSD you could use it to move the Page/Swap Files off to and really speed up the performance and reduce some wear on the main OS drive.

That's a good idea. 'Course, the SSD will likely have a shorter lifespan, but if it's not much use for anything else, why not?

I do that now with old spinning drives, but I noticed that I had some old 60gig SSD drives laying around and thought...hmmmmmmmm