CablDeViL

How to force Load Balancing

7 posts in this topic

I just upgraded one of the drives in WHS1 from a 1 to a 2tb. I removed it from the console and it took about 4 hours. I installed the new drive but now I would like to force the load balancing to start now. DO I need to Remote in?.... I do not see the option in the console.

Thanks

CD

Supposedly, if you go into Console>Shared Folders>highlight a folder and enable/disable Folder Duplication, it kicks off the balancing. But I don't think that will do what you want.

So yes, RDP in and initiate from there. Personally, I use Drive Balancer and it has gotten my drives to within a percentage point of the same amount of usage for each drive. If you've never used this utility, view the help files, particularly the very first paragraph of the readme.txt. I followed those instructions and had success with it.

fyi - You can also manually set the free space you want on your drives which, done correctly, will 'push' files to the other drive. That's a little tricky, but it works. I just did it today.

Supposedly, if you go into Console>Shared Folders>highlight a folder and enable/disable Folder Duplication, it kicks off the balancing. But I don't think that will do what you want.

So yes, RDP in and initiate from there. Personally, I use Drive Balancer and it has gotten my drives to within a percentage point of the same amount of usage for each drive. If you've never used this utility, view the help files, particularly the very first paragraph of the readme.txt. I followed those instructions and had success with it.

fyi - You can also manually set the free space you want on your drives which, done correctly, will 'push' files to the other drive. That's a little tricky, but it works. I just did it today.

I just downloaded Drive Balancer - I will give it a try. Thanks!

DVN thanks seems to be working well! I will have to use that again when the new case comes in and I add 2 more 2tb drives. Looks like a great program!

Glad it worked for you.

1 person likes this

This thread should be made a sticky. I just added 2 more 2tb drives and reread this post to set it all up. Thanks again DVN great info!

Thanks DVN, never tried this but I think I will.