RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows 8.1 OS on HP Microserver?

malaugh

Sounds good.

Have you updated everything, BIOS-iLo-IP-firmware?

Here are the versions of my firmwares:

HP ProLiant System ROM 06/06/2014 HP ProLiant System ROM - Backup 06/06/2014 HP ProLiant System ROM Bootblock 02/04/2012 iLO 2.03 Nov 07 2014 Intelligent Provisioning 1.62.31 Server Platform Services (SPS) Firmware 2.2.0.31.2 System Programmable Logic Device Version 0x06

8 Gb sticks. But from now on, only the Windows installer is run from the stick. For the drivers I use the ILO folder.

I've reconfigured my Gen8 MicroServer (removed all drives - disconnected P222 - inserted one Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD in Slot 1 Port 1) to simulate your setup as I understand it.............

Last night I created a Windows 8.1 bootable flash drive using a Windows 8.1 iso and the Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool -- this is on an 8GB Adata flash

I copied the latest B120i driver I had from HP's Download site for S2012R2 =>cp024079.exe to an 8GB Lexar flash drive -- on the flash drive I used 7-Zip to unpack the driver and put them into a folder cp024079

I used iLO4 to get into my Gen8 MicroServer from my LapTop sitting next to my MicroServer

I started my Gen8 up and configured the Samsung as a single drive RAID0 Logical Drive 01

Restarted

I insterted both USB drive into the USB2 ports on the front of the Gen8 MicroServer -- Win8.1 Flash on top

At the point where it asked me for the drivers and I hit browse -- It didn't show my Lexar -- so I unplugged the Lexar and plugged it back in and hit browse again

I saw the lexar this time and I clicked on the folder cp024079 created by 7-Zip from cp024079.exe

Windows 8.1 saw the B120i drivers and thus the Logical Drive 01 -- and it has loaded windows 8.1 -- It Works

I suggest you check you windows 8.1 flash installation drive and probably create another one?

gallery_1229_119_9916.jpggallery_1229_119_1315007.jpggallery_1229_119_297470.jpggallery_1229_119_148009.jpggallery_1229_119_105651.jpggallery_1229_119_35870.jpg

LOL JM. All those little rectangular holes in your MS look like USB ports in the photo. I thought, "Wow, that's a LOT of USB ports on 1 computer!". :D

Finally it worked! So apparently something was wrong with my flash drives as the install ran perfectly loading a DVD iso through ilo.

One last question: you mentioned the need to install ilo drivers in Windows 8.1. Why that ? My ilo drives are perfectly recognized by Windows natively. However at the moment Windows does not manage to connect to my network but it is because I assume I have no choice but to plug a second ethernet cable to the microserver ? Unless there might be a possibility to plug on my network with the ilo plug ?

Thank you again for your support everyone!

Another issue now: I have installed my 2 storage HDD (3Tb WD Red) in Baies 2 and 3, created a logical drive for each in SSA (as I want them to be recognized as 2 distinct drives in Windows), everything is going fine in SSA but Windows does not detect it. Even in the storage panel control (when you do a right click on my computer), the disks are not showing up.

I assume that here some kind of driver should be missing ?

Yes I was, and the discs were not popping up. However, after the application of the latest Windows Updates, the discs shown up :)