RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

UPS good deal

seagd

Just want to inform you a good deal related to WHS.

After heard your podcast talked about the importance of UPS for WHS, I was looking for a good one. This week Best Buy has APC Back-UPS ES series BE550G on sale for $39.99.(Regular price is $59.99). This is cheaper than Amazon.com.

I was burned by some bad UPS before, so I am careful. I first check this UPS can replace battery, so it looks like BB sale this UPS for the price of the replacement battery. Then what really surprised me is they have a new version of PowerChute Personal Edition v2.2 released 01/15/2009, which supports WHS. This latest software is not included in the box, but you can download it from their website. The whole installation process ran smoothly, I got my WHS running with APC UPS and software in only a few minutes this afternoon.

I finally added a UPS to my system, a model I bought from Sam's Club. Tons of plugs and a digital display on the front. I needed the surge protection from a lightning strike. Lost a router, DSL modem, TV, DirectTV DVR, modified XBox, ethernet port on my desktop, and hackintosh MSI Wind. It's like a WHS server, you don't know you need it, until you need it!

I couldn't agree with you guys more! A good UPS is a must. I actually rented one from my Power company for a while. It was like $3.99 a month for a $90 UPS. Not the greatest deal but it worked.

We have a lot of quick power losses (outages that last less than 2 seconds) in my neighborhood and a UPS saves my bacon every time.

Thanks for the notice. I picked one up today at my local Best Buy and just hooked it up to my WHS. Next stop, Grid Junction!

That is a good deal. I wish I would have made it there to get another one. I'm running an APC 900 for my PC and one of the 550's for the WHS. I was a little po'd at the 900 since it's louder than my PC. I went to great lengths to make a performance PC run cool and quiet and the darned UPS is louder!