RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need help with network configuration

FALaholic

So I was zipping right along with Server 2012 R2 as a media server and network attached storage.  I decided to eliminate the dead zones in our home by buying a D-Link 880L and relegating the D-Link 655 to AP service.  That portion is up and running with no issue

However the server now is forcing my wired client to route the DHCP through it to connect to the internet making it slow or spotty.  I have tried stopping the DHCP service on the server, but it still replaces the "obtain DNS automatically" with its IP when I reboot the wired client (wireless clients have no issues.  

Any ideas?     

It sounds like you have the client joined to the Domain. If so, then it's normal for the client use the Domain Controller (Essentials) as its DNS. In fact, it's preferred. Is it possible you don't have DNS forwarding set up correctly in Essentials?

DNS going through Essentials should not really slow down your Internet browsing.

Yes all of the clients are joining a domain, but I have not set set up DNS forwarding.  It seemed "round about" to have to go through the server since its just a media server. Is that what I need to do?  The server has no other function other than storage and Plex server.

Edited by FALaholic

You need to set up DNS forwarding for Internet browsing to work properly. What happens is your client goes to the server to resolve a URL. If the server doesn't have the required info, it then forwards the request to another DNS, almost certainly one on  the Internet. If you don't have DNS Forwarding configured, the server doesn't know where to forward the request.

You say the server is for media serving. Do you have any plans to use it to back up your clients?

Not really....anything we "cherry pick" what we need backed up. 

BTW thanks for the help so far.  So if I take out DHCP from the router (so it doesnt compete with the server) how will that affect my wireless clients?  When I disabled it earlier I couldnt connect.

I can see how disabling DHCP on the router would cause problems. It's because you don't have DNS forwarding set up on the server (yup, the same reason why browsing is slow or broken). When the server does DHCP it tells all its DHCP clients to use the server as their DNS provider. Since the server doesn't know how to forward DNS requests to a second DNS, those clients won't be able to surf properly, if at all.

Well I followed your advice and it is working....thanks!  I wish I understood why though...for me its not enough just to have it fixed. 

Most large networks or for that matter, one of any decent size, would have separate servers for DHCP so the way ikon had you setup everything is following best practices if you have a DC running at home.