RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Network File Transferring Speed.

1clicc

Yes, they are connected directly to the router.

Not sure how others feel, but I see that as a problem. Effectively, it looks to me that every packet has to traverse the router to get from source to destination. I see that as adding significant overhead.

Again, I suggest connecting the server and client PC directly together, then try some copy operations.

Using Sophos for the switch and router may be a bad idea. As it's been pointed out, it may cost additional overhead.

However, that said, check out this:

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/8335-before-you-post-media-stuttering-playback-issues-performance-irregularities/

it's originally written for WHSv1, but most of the stuff still applies. It may help.

You mentioned you have handheld devices. What are you using for WiFi?

Router DHCP is disable, router is an ASUS RT-AC66U, a pretty decent router.  As i mention my server and pc are both connected to the Sophos router.  I don't have any issue with streaming, downloading and uploading over the internet.  It just doesn't make any sense when i transferring file from pc to server speed wise.  I lost my crossover cable so that's the only thing left to try.  I've been researching and i don't know if there's anything have to do with this?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7bd0aa5b-eb95-40a8-a56d-c6013273665c/extremely-slow-smb-network-speed-server-2012-r2?forum=winserver8gen

So the Asus is acting as a wireless access point connected to the Sophos UTM?

Try connecting your server and pc to the gigabit ports on the back of the RT-AC66U. The 4 ports on that act as a switch.

As Ikon said above, having everything plugged into the router is causing all of your network traffic to pass through it.

Best practice is to have a Gigabit switch at the core of your network and have everything connected to that, router, WAP, server, PC,,,

Here is an old picture of my network:

bbpd.jpg

Best practice is to have a Gigabit switch at the core of your network and have everything connected to that, router, WAP, server, PC,,,

This. Emphatically.

Bought a 24 port unmanaged switch (xygel, I think) just to hook up to sophos and act as the backbone for the network.

@schoondoggy, wow, that's a lot of devices, and will push that 50 (55) device/IP limit without some trickery. Like leaving the wireless router's NAT enabled).

i'm have a very slow file transferring speed around 29mb/s-35mb/s on a Gigabit Lan

How is your storage set up on the server (ie. storage spaces, or not, resiliency type and NTFS or ReFS)??

FWIW I have had my Thecus W5000 attached to both my gigabit switch and to the Virgin Media 'Super' Hub that acts as my router and a Gb switch (the two switches are connected to each other) and to be honest didn't see any difference in transfer speeds from either a Windows 7 client or a Windows 8.1 client.

Edited by Steve Pitts

Connecting directly to the Asus router acting as a switch does make a difference in speed.  It went from 29MB/s to 60MB/s.  If i disable firewall, antivirus on server and pc i get about 90MB/s to 105MB/s.  Reason i have the sophos in front is because i wanted some security, block bad sites for the kids and also ads.  I do see how you setup your network schoondoggy. Will try to setup a similar network.  Schoondoggy is your switch a manage switch or unmanage one?

Edited by 1clicc

Connecting directly to the Asus router acting as a switch does make a difference in speed.  It went from 29MB/s to 60MB/s.  If i disable firewall, antivirus on server and pc i get about 90MB/s to 105MB/s.  Reason i have the sophos in front is because i wanted some security, block bad sites for the kids and also ads.  I do see how you setup your network schoondoggy. Will try to setup a similar network.  Schoondoggy is your switch a manage switch or unmanage one?

All my switches are un-managed.

Newegg has NetGear switches on sale 8 port Gb switch for $24.99