RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Setting up my Gen8

Simon_

I have purchased a Gen8 server today and I need help getting started as this is very new to me. 

I have ordered a 4TB WD RED drive and an SSD + adapter for the ODD bay. 

I want to install the SSD into the ODD bay and install CentOS on it and run VM's from it (installed on the SSD). Then I would like to use the 4TB HDD + others soon as attached shared storage for the VM's. I do not wish to set up RAID. 

As this is my first server, I have done research but I am still slight confused as to how to boot from the ODD bay (even though I have seen a topic on it)

Any thoughts and help on my setup would be appreciated. 

ps. can I install CentOS from USB?

Thanks, 

Simon_

Edited by Simon_

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• demomanca

• Royco

• Tmorfuss

• Simon_

Easiest way is to attach your ssd to the odd sata and then set up a single disk raid0 volume for it.

Why do you want to avoid RAID?

Could I install the OS from USB. Do I have to change any bios options to boot from SSD/ODD?

For storage/ money reasons I don't want to use raid now however in the future i could see myself using RAID 1 - I also like to keep the drives as separate instances should they fail. Or perhaps my knowledge or RAID is completely wrong. 

RAID0 with a single physical drive (your SSD in the ODD bay, plugged into SATA5) means that you can easily set it as a boot device. Switching from RAID to AHCI brings its own problems when booting from SATA5.

Booting from USB is possible but I have no knowledge of it.

Assuming CentOS setup will be similar to Ubuntu:

Put CentOS installation on a USB stick (or use ILO to do it)

Go into the BIOS

Set the b120i to "Raid" mode

Reboot, and go into the HP Array Util

Create an array with just the SSD in it

Reboot, and hit F11 to bring get the boot menu up

Select USB

Install away

So I can have the ssd in the odd drive setup as a raid0? And the 4tb HDD in raid 0 too and everything should work fine?

But if I use ahci for the ssd and raid0 for the HDD then I will have issued booting to sata5?

Yes, you can have the SSD in the ODD Drive setup as Raid 0.

With CentOS, I don't think you need to set the 4tb drives to raid 0, just leave them unconfigured in the array config util

Yes, if you set the controller to AHCI,you can't boot from the sata5 connector

Yes, you can have the SSD in the ODD Drive setup as Raid 0.

With CentOS, I don't think you need to set the 4tb drives to raid 0, just leave them unconfigured in the array config util

Yes, if you set the controller to AHCI,you can't boot from the sata5 connector

I think i'm still getting to grips with the server lingo so please bare with me as am learning it. So just to summarise what you said:

So I can set up the SSD as a single array Raid0, and the 4tb drive will also be in a single raid0 array.

So I will install CentOS on the SSD, and I will be able to set up the 4tb drive as a separate volume to mount into VM's running on the SSD? 

Edited by Simon_