RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Tmorfuss

Centos 7 as master OS on Microserver G8. FAQ.

aodalu

When creating a bootable flash drive on windows it is best to use the program Win32 Disk Imager, cygwin dd command did not help me and other programs, too. Recorded using Win32 Disk Imager CentOS-7-x84_64.iso on usb also on usb recordable hpvsa-1.2.10-120.rhel7u0.x86_64.img. When booting press "Esc" write 'linux modprobe.blacklist=ahci inst.dd". You will be prompted to select the driver, press "1", then press "C". These actions led me to the window installation CentOS, but raid1 when selecting where to install os, I do not see.

Metallus

You need to make the RAID1 Array as bootable from inside the Smart Provisioning.

kave

I am not 100% now, but I am quite sure I don't use the raid controller and my system is silent, Fan 1 is humming along at 10%.

It was solved by ILO firmware 2.03 or System ROM 06/06/2014.

I use a ssd to one of the 4 drive bay cables to make it boot from that and use three of them for 4TB HDD's and the DVD cable for the fourth data disk.

amiwhoisayiam

Have been running a standard 3.5" OS disk in the odd drive for months, and finally picked up an ssd ( so i can close the case ).

Also moving to either ahci or b120i so i can get the trim support.

This is a nightmare.

I'm using Oracle Linux / centos 7 and have followed the tips earlier in this thread, but the installation of the OS doesnt see any of my disks, other than the iLo vdrives.

I have 4x3TB and 1x120G ssd in the odd.

I've tried creating a raid0 bootable RAID partition on the ssd but leaving the other 4 drives untouched ( as i already have a raid6 mdraid configuration enabled).

Does work. As even when loading the kmod driver and blacklisting ahci, i dont see any drives.

I dont expect the 4x3TB to be recognised, but i do expect the SSD 120G to be.

Unless of course all drives need to be allocated before it will work?

*** EDIT ***

I'm now defaulting to ahci legacy ( so same as before ) and using the iLo to boot to grub which picks the ODD / ssd to boot from.

But Id very much like this to work with less hassle  w/ trim :/

Im still investigating a small grub / ramdisk image to do the same thing as the other users windows usb hack,.

Hopefully have something soon.

*** /EDIT ***

any tips / anything im missing?

TiA

Edited by amiwhoisayiam

rayson

Hi, I installed CentOS 7.2 successfully with 2 identical 2TB disk in RAID1 by following instructions in this topic, but I came across another issue.

My GEN8 has a very poor disk read performance (25-50MB/s), but the write performance is normal (200MB/s).

Does someone has any idea about what could be happening?

Burman

Hi guys, I know this is a bit older thread, but nevertheless, is it possible to use internal MicroSD slot for "swap space" instead of the SSD or RAM?

GotNoTime

is it possible to use internal MicroSD slot for "swap space" instead of the SSD or RAM?

It appears as a USB device so it is possible to. However, it isn't a good idea to swap to flash.

Burman

@GotNoTime: Isn't it meant to be bad to have swap on SSD? I'm pretty sure somebody mentioned that it can quickly shorten the lifespan of a SSD by having swap on it.

Edited by Burman

GotNoTime

@GotNoTime: Isn't it meant to be bad to have swap on SSD? I'm pretty sure somebody mentioned that it can quickly shorten the lifespan of a SSD by having swap on it.

Same applies to SD cards and they'll be significantly slower due to the speed of the SD card + speed of the USB reader. If you want to swap then do it to a HD.

The microSD reader in the Gen8 Microserver is part of iLO as well. If you reset/upgrade iLO then the SD card disappears which won't be a good thing if you're swapping to it.

Burman

@GotNoTime: Am I better off then just getting some extra RAM and set it to that?