RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can WS backup to a NAS?

Trimble Epic

So, I've been playing with the eval version of WS2012R2 (with essentials role), and started to begin testing server backup... and it doesn't like not having any drives.  I have a Drobo FS with plenty of space.  Can I backup to it for testing purposes?  Or do I NEED a dedicated drive for that?

Yeah, it needs to have local storage to be able to do this.

However, "iSCSI" does appear to be local storage, so if your drobo supports iSCSI, that would be the way to go for testing.

That or if you have a cheap drive for testing.

Hate to disagree with the experts, but you can backup to a network address although a) you need to use wbadmin.msc to set it up, not the Essentials dashboard, and b ) it will only take full backups not incrementals. I would agree that iSCSI is the best solution, albeit not an officially supported one I believe, since it is treated as being locally attached.

Edited by Steve Pitts

I have tried backing up to a NAS via regular SMB/CIFS and you can only restore the last (albeit successful) backup. No different backup dates or versions to look at or restore from. For that reason, I started backing up to a dedicated USB drive.

Speaking of iSCSI, backing up to it is one thing... How do you do a BMR from an iSCSI target?

Speaking of iSCSI, backing up to it is one thing... How do you do a BMR from an iSCSI target?

An excellent question. I hadn't thought of it, but I don't think the restore program offers the option to set up an iSCSI link.

It's just sad that MS didn't include the iSCSI Initiator app as part of system recovery. It's already 2015!

My intention is to setup an XPEnology box in another part of the house as an iSCSI target. This addresses two things; Physically decoupling the backup disk from the server and 2nd, present the LUN to WSB as a dedicated volume. This got me looking for a solution. Luckily, there is a hack around it but it's not as straightforward as one might think: https://glennmatthys.wordpress.com/2012/01/07/add-iscsi-initiator-to-the-windows-server-20082008r2sbs-2008sbs-2011-installation-dvd/

Comments?

Yes, it's 2015, but WSE2012 was released in, well, 2012: i.e. 3 years ago. Still, it would be nice if MS would put out an update to implement iSCSI.