Here is the Sophos UTM I am putting together:

HP Pro 3000 SFF

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

8GB memory

Two 80 WD VR 10K drives RAID1 on a AMCC/3WARE 9650SE-2LP RAID controller

Two single port Intel Gb NIC's

One Intel dual optical port Gb NIC

IzQOf9.jpg

The 9650SE dual port is fully supported by Sophos. It is a PCIe x1 card so it is easy to find a slot for it. You can find them on eBay under $25.

The onboard Realtek NIC is the management port. The first Intel NIC is the WAN in port. The second one I may use as a DMZ. The dual port NIC, port 1 is my home network, port 2 is my lab network. 

• Like 2

Can't help but think that that is a lot of power consumption for a router.

and you would be correct!  :)

This is a bit of an experiment using pieces and parts I had. Everything in the box is overkill, but I wanted to test a few ideas. It is not hard to rebuild Sophos, but I want to see if the RAID1 would work properly. The CPU and memory are more than required, but I wanted to compare performance. 

Maybe I will look at building a low power version.

Yeah, that's definitely overkill. 

I'm using an Intel Atom D2550 and 4GBs of RAM, and coming nowhere near maxing out the hardware.

And I'm curious to see how you like it.

Yeah, that's definitely overkill. 

I'm using an Intel Atom D2550 and 4GBs of RAM, and coming nowhere near maxing out the hardware.

And I'm curious to see how you like it.

I have run it in the past.

A few years ago I switched to a ZyXel firewall. Now I am heading back to Sophos.

I would like to see someone build a NUC-sized machine with a low power SOC and 2-4 NICs.  Basically, the DN2820 NUC with 4 NICs should work in at sub-10W with a SSD.  They could get it back down to 8W if they used an eMMC possibly.

I'd be happy to run a firewall on a machine like that.  

I like the raid idea as these days if the router goes you really can't do much. I have found that as I ask my sophos to do more as in filtering out adverts and all my email as well as having a powerful anti virus component it is definitely slower than my old asus rtN66u but plenty more RAM and CPU will not improve the situation.

I have a 4 core processor and 8GB of RAM so I am not short on anything. It definitely does not need the 4 core. The reports it provides are excellent.

CPU usage for the last month: Max = 9.6% Ave = 0.39%

Memory Usage for the last month: Max = 30% Ave = 20%

I agree with Drashna that your setup is plenty powerful for a LAN with only 3 or 4 users.

I have found that as I ask my sophos to do more as in filtering out adverts and all my email as well as having a powerful anti virus component it is definitely slower than my old asus rtN66u but plenty more RAM and CPU will not improve the situation.

I have a 4 core processor and 8GB of RAM so I am not short on anything. It definitely does not need the 4 core. The reports it provides are excellent.

CPU usage for the last month: Max = 9.6% Ave = 0.39%

Memory Usage for the last month: Max = 30% Ave = 20%

I agree with Drashna that your setup is plenty powerful for a LAN with only 3 or 4 users.

So you're saying your Sophos is actually slower than an Asus RTN66u?

A lot slower but it is putting every website and email through a filter as per my settings.

Just to reiterate. I am not taking about DL speed. DL speed is the same on either router.