RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows 7

strangelad

I've been reading up on what I can and can't install on the box and the only reason I can see that I can't install Win 7 (I'm only using it as a media server with an upgraded processor for transcoding) is because of the B120i RAID drivers not working with it. Is there any reason I couldn't install Win 7 if I switch it to SATA AHCI? If so, will I be able to run the OS off of an SSD on the ODD connector or is there an issue with booting from it?

HP seem to have taken the beauty of the gen7 and made an absolute shambles out of it because of the unsupported drivers, I'm now wishing I'd built my own server instead.

Cheers,

Bob.

If you switch it to AHCI mode then Windows 7 will work without any extra drivers. iLO won't be able to monitor drive temperatures though. Older versions of the Microserver firmware would default to a high speed fan idle because it assumed that the drives were always hot. The latest firmware fixes that AFAIK.

Have you tried using the Windows 2008R2 driver with Windows 7? They're both built on the same kernel version and all the APIs should be equivalent.

• Like 1

Thanks for the response, I haven't tried using the 2k8 R2 drivers with 7 but I know that you can use the 2k12 drivers with 8.1 so I'd hope that they'd be cross compatible too. I'll give it a crack tonight and see how it goes.

Server 2008R2 -- WHS2011 -- and Windows 7 all have the same core -- you use the drivers from HP's driver download site for Windows Server 2008 R2. The procedure to install Windows 7 will be the same as WHS2011 -- there are links to the procedure for WHS2011 installs in the Gen8 Links page or you can find them with a google search. When I get a chance I'll throw the link in here.

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-proliant-microserver-gen8-links/

Edited by Joe_Miner