RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backup Router for $20

Dave

I like to have a backup router.  Call me crazy but I have two routers sitting in the basement.  If one should crater all I have to do is plug the other one up and power it up.  It's all setup and ready to go.  The situation i've tried to plan for is if I'm out and the pfSense machine should have an issue.  I could easily talk someone(spouse) through swapping them out.   

I rotate routers in and out like crazy.  I like to try different things from time to time.  Right now I have pfSense and an Airport Extreme on hand. There are more but these are the two that are configured and ready to go. 

Ok, all that for this deal! 

http://www.woot.com/plus/networks-no-longer-in-the-future?ref=cnt_wp_5

Woot has a couple of cheapo routers for sale.  I've never tried these so we could use a report!

There was one for $17 but it was 10/100 only.  These might make nice access points too.

• Like 1

Backup routers are a good idea but make sure they are ready to plug in and go. You don't want to have to talk someone thru changing passwords and configuring stuff especially if you rely on IP reservations or fixed IP addresses for stuff.

• Like 1

I keep stock on these for friends, family and coworkers,,,,, 'Hey, Kev,,, you got a router?'.

The $17 WD works very well.

The $25 Buffalo support both radios simultaneously.

The $65 WD Storage Router is a great value. Dual ban simultanious WiFi radios, Gb ethernet, 1TB backup drive. I put one of these in my mother in laws house. She has no idea her laptop is backed up!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

be aware that the Buffalo WHR-600D and the WD MyNet N600 only have 10/100 (not Gigabit) Ethernet ports. As a central network switch either one will be slow...

be aware that the Buffalo WHR-600D and the WD MyNet N600 only have 10/100 (not Gigabit) Ethernet ports. As a central network switch either one will be slow...

Not to mention, using a wireless router (even one with gigabit ports) as a central network switch is not the best idea to start with. OTOH, used at the edge of the network, to connect to the Internet, 100Mb Ethernet is fine for the vast majority of people, since their Internet link is significantly slower than 100Mb.