RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Home Server machine for VM of several services on a cluster

CyS

Hello,

I have a lot of questions and have no idea how to tackle them... here it is... sorry for the mess...

I started building my own pc at home and... a few months later it became a diy pc case, added some rack rails and it's become a full 16U rack case...

I have 2 machines:

One Aspire x1700 desktop: intel e2200 dual core duo cpu, 2 Gb ddr2 and a couple of hdds (160Gb and 500Gb)

and m y main rig

I7 3770K, Gigabyte GA Z77X UD5H mobo and 16Gb ddr3, and Gigabyte GTX 650TI 2Gb, and a 256Gb mSata Crucial SSD with 2x 1Tb WD Greens

and my trusti Acer E111 laptop to rule them all.

i plan on adding them both in the same case...

my budget will make Les Miserables cry...

My dreams: Home server with VPN, personal Could, possibly Blackberry Services, a home security system - all DIY.

Present my plans are:

Get a second 1000 Mbps LAN pci-e card - 10Euros

Setup a pfsense server possibly to replace my Orange router (i have a 200Mbps fiber optics internet)

Why pfsense: it can let me control my whole home network and has a VPN!

Because i have a blackberry z10 - i might have to run pfsense as a VM and install centOS with Strongswan for BB to be able to connect - no openvpn support.

I would like to make a owncloud or similar setup - for cloud services (dropbox and google accounts are maxed out) plus would like to have everything shareable with home lan and on the go.

Have a NAS for all files - thus a file server that i have no idea how to set up - what filesystem to format the drives in and for now i have a 2x 1Tb WD greens for this purpouse - it's enough - RAID1 for now - back-up and safe storage gets my vote.

Use of open source / free programs preferred..

Although i will need a windows server for the blackberry's BES12 server.

Keep it small - my heart skips beats when i get electric bills over 250euros per 2 months (flat is heated with electricity)

One solution i found is:

get another aspire x1700 or similar pc that will run the main OS - haven't decided which one to use.. currently at Linux Mint 17.1 but having driver issues and it freezes without warning expanation.

make them run in some sort of a shared resources - either main OS + 2 VM each or.. as a Cloud computing solution (this will let me add another pc in the future if i deem neccesary)

I could go on and install all on my main rig - but i will miss running Photoshop and rendering videos... but i could run up to 7 VM without a problem on I7 3770K with 256 Gb SSD And 16Gb or DDR3...

so.. please help!! :D

For your router, have you checked out Sophos UTM? It's got a limit on the number of devices (IP addresses) for home usage (which is free). And it's very turnkey (includes web filter, VPN, etc).

ANd if you do need Windows, Server 2012R2 Essentials may be a nice option. It's ... pricy, but microsoft does have a 180 day eval period for it. It also supports a remote access website, as well as VPN. And windows client backups.

As for person cloud, look at OwnCloud. It works very well, and better on linux, than windows.

As for the main OS, HyperV Server 2012R2 or VMWare ESX may be the best options. Though, there is KVM, IIRC.

For your router, have you checked out Sophos UTM? It's got a limit on the number of devices (IP addresses) for home usage (which is free). And it's very turnkey (includes web filter, VPN, etc).

ANd if you do need Windows, Server 2012R2 Essentials may be a nice option. It's ... pricy, but microsoft does have a 180 day eval period for it. It also supports a remote access website, as well as VPN. And windows client backups.

As for person cloud, look at OwnCloud. It works very well, and better on linux, than windows.

As for the main OS, HyperV Server 2012R2 or VMWare ESX may be the best options. Though, there is KVM, IIRC.

Regarding router software i have not looked into anything just yet... recently remembered pfsense and looked a little bit into it.

Owncloud is already my choice...

for the windows server 2012 the 180 days coupled with 60 (or was it less?)  for BES 12 should give me enough time to figure everything and see if I like and consider keeping it.

now to wait and see... VMWare ESX has some interesting features i see... but cannot locate a pricing chart... so.. will look further into this.

Anyone with ideas on cluster compatibility? is it doable? or should i just power machines as i need?