RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server backup incomplete after server restart.

Jay2001

I have been noticing an issue where the automatic server backups that happen at 11:00 PM and 12:00 PM daily all complete just fine up until there is a need to restart the server (ie. to finish installing updates.) after which the server comes back online and the next scheduled server backup has a status of "incomplete". By clicking "view details" for the backup I see that the system reserved and the operating system backups were successful but the drive D: (my drive pool) was incomplete. I have set the client computer backups folder to be excluded. All other backups are included. I have them backed up to a external seagate 3TB drive connected via 3.0 USB connection. I have attached the messages I get as images to this post

However the next consecutive automatic backup or manual backup that follows the Incomplete backup completes with a successful result. however this backup takes a long time to complete approx 3 hours compared to minutes with the subsequent backups (almost like a first time server backup)

Not a big issue but more interested to see if anyone else is having these issues or thinks that the fact that the system is reporting that the backup is incomplete that the whole backup is corrupted. I haven't found a way of knowing exactly which portion of the backup is incomplete yet, so any help there would be helpful. (or if its the whole storage pool)

Thanks, Jason

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Edited by Jay2001

what "pool" are you using?

I'm guessing Storage Spaces....

Regardless, this may be a "non-error" basically. :(

The best way to check is to use the actual server backup console. To do so, log into the server and run "wbadmin.msc" (or Windows Server Backup from Administrative Tools).

Check the backup in question. This should give you more specific details as to WHY the backup failed.

Yeah thank you. Here is what I get.

Error in backup of D:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\ during write: Error [0x80070005] Access is denied.
Error in backup of D:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\$TxfLog.blf during write: Error [0x80070005] Access is denied.

Of course I have no Idea what that means....LOL :wacko:

Edited by Jay2001

Thank you for your help and information. This seems to explain my issue exactly. I will look into it and see if it is even worth worrying about seeing how there are registry changes involved.

Edited by Jay2001