RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Microserver as a media server

thepixel

I'm thinking of purchasing the HP Microserver to use as a home media and storage server.

The model I'm thinking of getting will be HP ProLiant Gen8 G1610T MicroServer (Celeron Version)

It will have 6GB RAM in it, It comes with 2GB but I'm going to get a 4GB stick. ECC memory's not cheap!! Shame it don't take full sized DIMMS as I have loads of those around but no small ECC UDIMMS ;(

I plan to equip this server with 3 or 4 WD RED Drives of around 3TB in size. In RAID5. This server will be storing Movie, Music and General Data. 90% of the data wont be changing more than once, as In once it's on the server it's hardly ever going to be changed.

I plan on using the OS RAID rather than the hardware RAID only because I have had annoying issues with onboard cards before from cheaper servers.

I'm tempted to run Server 2012 R2

I also plan to ditch the CD Drive and install a 120GB SSD for the OS to use, also the server will be running http://mediabrowser.tv/for the media service I plan to run for the devices at home.

It will serve connent to Laptops, Desktops, TV's and Games Consoles. Majority of the movies will be in MP4 containers and some in MKV.

I plan on ripping over 100 of my DVD's to this so I can reclaim the space!

It's possible the server may have to transcode or remux 1 or 2 streams at a time.

Will this server be OK for the job?

A couple of thoughts:

After reading BackBlaze's experience with 3TB drives, I'm only going to buy 4TB or larger, but most likely 4TB.

Instead of using any RAID, you might consider using DrivePool. The only caveat is that it only runs on Windows and you haven't said which OS you plan to use.

I have the same setup as you are looking at . 128Gb SSD boot drive, 4 x WD Red 3tb's and the 1610. I use plex for mediaserving, and I haven't had anyone in my family complain about transcoding delays. It's driving an Xbox one (no transcoding required) a Chromecast (transcoding) and a PS3 (transcoding as well).

I ran Freenas, but I'm on Ubuntu at the moment, and both worked well. I used ZFS RaidZ across the 4 drives, as it adds a bit of data rot protection as well.

There's a bit of a learning curve with Ubuntu, but IMHO worth it for the cost savings. I haven't used Mediabrowser before, but it appears to support FreeNAS, so that would probably be a fairly straightforward way to go.

I did look at FreeNAS and have thought about using it, but was also thinking about using Server 2012 R2 (Technet Subscription) using Storage Pools with parity and data de-duplication as an option as well as previous version snapshots

Media Browser is near enough the same software as Plex, except it's Opensource. (Only downside is there's no native console apps for it)

Whatever OS this ends up running it will be a native install and there wont be any ESXI involved etc.

All my devices such as computers and laptops are Windows 8.1 based devices.

I have 2 Sony TV's and a Samsung TV

1 x Sony will have to use DLNA to Stream (Has a PS4 connected to it as well as a Laptop sometimes)

1 x Samsung has a PS3 Connected to it

1 x Sony will have to use DLNA to Stream (Also has the option to have a Laptop connected to it)

However it's doubtful that more than two will be active at one time.

I also plan to backup important data to a USB Data Drive or two :P

As long as this can process the media for me, then I'm happy :) i guess I remember the Celeron's from the old days when they really did use to be slow and rubbish.

I can't comment on Storage Spaces, but I'm very happy with the speed and the ease of setup of ZFS on both Linux and FreeBSD.

• Like 1

Perfect :)

I have a quick question, Did you have to do anything fancy with the settings to get the Server to boot from the SSD which is in the ODD Bay?

As I purely plan to use the 4 drive bays for data and the SSD for the OS

Also do you run the drives in AHCI or use the on-board RAID?

There's been some back and forth on booting from an SSD attached to the motherboard (ODD) SATA port. AFAIK, to use such a drive as the boot drive, you have to run the B120i in RAID mode, not AHCI. You set up a RAID0 array with the SSD as its only member (HP calls this 'single drive RAID0'). This means that all drives attached to the B120i, which does include the 4 ports in the drive cage, must also be in RAID arrays.

That's slightly annoying having to run it in RAID mode on a hardware level. How reliable is the RAID Card in the server?

As considering the CDROM Port is bootable for a CD so you would have thought that function would have stuck. God knows why HP messed that up.

Do you mean random bit flips, or storage medium degradation?

People refer to both as data or bit rot, and assume both are the same. They're completely different things with different causes.

Mainly but flips. I've had photos and videos wrecked because of it in the past using other file systems.

What do you mean my storage medium degradation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's slightly annoying having to run it in RAID mode on a hardware level. How reliable is the RAID Card in the server?

As considering the CDROM Port is bootable for a CD so you would have thought that function would have stuck. God knows why HP messed that up.

No one has reported any problems with the B120i from a reliability standpoint.