RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Poppapete

GPS for my Surface Pro 3

Poppapete

Totally off subject for the HomeServerShow forum but I need a GPS (USB or BT) unit for my surface pro 3.  I cannot find anyone who can categorically tell me a make or model that will work with windows 8.1 and a SP3. I have been googleing and binging for 3 or 4 weeks. Nothing. Have had the same question in Surface Geeks since 14 Feb. I find it very strange that no one seems to want to or cares to plug a GPS into a surface pro 3.

ikon

According to someone in this thread you can use this receiver: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035XU7WA/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0035XU7WA&linkCode=as2&tag=pccounselor-20&linkId=QDS43KD6WATWNTOO.

It's made by Pharos, but it is labeled as a Microsoft GPS-360 Receiver.

Here's one that a reviewer (lonnnnng review) says, according to posts on USGlobalSat forums, works well with Win8.

Another option mentioned by posters is to use your phone to provide GPS to your SP3.

Poppapete

Ikon,

Thanks as always for replying. The MS GPS-360 is unavailable in Australia and postage is worth more than the item and costs even more if it is unsuitable and I have to return it.  I did read about the BT from phone to SP 3 but am very skeptical about it working well enough for my situation.

Decided to go to a dedicated GPS shop and try all available USB GPS on site so I am sure it works before I leave the store.

ikon

That sounds like a great idea. I'm not aware of any brick and mortar GPS stores in Canada, so this option wouldn't be available to me. I have a SP1. It does have GPS, but I have to say it's not very accurate, so I don't really use it. I wonder if an add-on GPS would do better.

Poppapete

Went to my store where I bought the last one 12 years ago (A Garmin 18 USB which will not work on W8 ) and he sold me a Garmin 18x USB which worked immediately.

ikon

Fantastic. Do you mind saying what it cost? Oh, and what GPS software are you using with it?

Poppapete

It cost $100 AUD ($78 USD). I am sure I could get it cheaper online but I needed it ASAP this weekend for log racing. Log racing is a bit like orienteering but on water with boats. I use Oziexplorer a local software program that I have been using for many years.

ikon

Thanks