RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

First time HP proliant N54 build

dreameron

Hello everyone,

This is my first posting and my first server build. I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, help or criticism that anyone may offer.

I had been looking at HP's servers on Newegg, youtube and the various forums for quite a while. I received the HP ProLiant G7 N54L MicroServer for Christmas after super sale price at Newegg.com.    Anyway my thoughts on building this for a home server/nas are as follows. I'd like to do this right the first time. I have been looking at "ICY DOCK ToughArmor MB994IPO-3SB"Icy Dock MB994IPO-3SB Slim ODD + 2x 2.5' HDD Multi Bay.JPGIcy Dock.jpgIcy Dock MB994IPO-3S.jpg, which has a slot for an internal slim DVD optical drive plus two holders for 2.5" SSD drives. I figured the best of both worlds. I'm planning on using the 1st SSD  for the OS and mirrored to the 2nd. I thought of using "SYBA Combo USB 3.0 + SATA III  Model SD-PEX50055" SYBA Combo USB 3.0 + SATA III  Model SD-PEX50055.JPGSYBA Combo USB 3.0 + SATA III   SD-PEX50055.jpgin one of the Pci slots, giving me USB 3.0 plus the two internal sata ports to drive the SSD's. For the storage and backup I planning on 2 WD Red 2TB and probably 2 WD Red 3TB drives. Windows Home Server 2011 will be the OS. Will I be able to use the bios as is or do I need to modify it? If there is anything that I've missed please let me know. Thanks!

That should work fine.  You only need to mod the BIOS if you want to boot off the onboard ODD port.  As you'll be booting off the PCI-E card, you should be fine.

The ToughArmor unit is a good job, I've had that particular one for years, and it's been great.  I also have the 4-bay one, and the 2x2.5" in a 3.5" bay model too.  Very happy with them all.