RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

EX490 losing connection, randomly

zgadgeter

Hello,

my ex490 has started to have a network connection issue in the past few days. I can't tell exactly when it started.

My home network contains a mix of laptops and desktops, with various OS's: XP, Vista and Win7.

From the XP laptop i can get a connection pretty regularly, but not constant. Sometimes when connected via RDC, it just loses the connection, tries to reconnect, and mostly fails. After about 5 to 15 minutes i can connect again. This is also true for simply connecting via the network to some of the folders on the WHS machine. Often the connections work, sometimes they disconnect after a while, randomly.

From the Vista/win7 machines were the WHS client software is installed, there seems not to be any connection at all possible, for a few days. Neither a console, nor a RDC, nor even connecting to the folders.

I thought it was a network connection thing, but i left a ping running for about an hour from the XP and Vista/win7 machines, and there was a constant connection at mostly less than 1 ms. This even when the XP laptop lost it's connection. Again, ping works fine from the Vista/win7 machines, but not network or console connections works.

I'm completely puzzled!

Could this have anything to do with Power Pack 3? Not sure when that installed.

Any hints??

Getting nervous ....

Edited by zgadgeter

At this point, if it were me, I might grab a spare HDD and install to that just to rule out HP hardware problems. Of course, you may choose to go straight for the Server Reinstallation, but I'd do the other first.

*This sounds like a case for the System Restore on WHS hack.

Well i thought i had the answer, and changed my dlink switch to a different switch. That seemed to work, for a few hours. Now it's doing the same again with another switch. Cable was changed already too.

It turns off via lights out add-in, all lights on the server are out. But, i can still ping the server and get a fast response, continuously ....I don't get it....how can it answer if it's off?

However i cannot start it with the lights out client software. I have to go to it and push the button manually.

What's your network setup? What router? Are you talking about a separate switch or the one in your router?

Also, just a thought, but what about add-ins? Would it be a problem to uninstall them, test, then add one at a time? Or maybe you have a suspect add-in and could just start with uninstalling that?

It turns off via lights out add-in, all lights on the server are out. But, i can still ping the server and get a fast response, continuously ....I don't get it....how can it answer if it's off?

Is your server asleep, rather than off?

Well i thought i had the answer, and changed my dlink switch to a different switch. That seemed to work, for a few hours. Now it's doing the same again with another switch. Cable was changed already too.

However i cannot start it with the lights out client software. I have to go to it and push the button manually.

Sleep and off are not the same. When a computer is sleeping it still leaves certain devices ready to accept input (like a Lan port, usb port, etc.) When you PING the server, do the lights come on and it resumes normal operation?

I would remove all add-ins and make sure none are causing a problem. Next I would try the alternative HDD idea. Pull your old system drive and any storage drives and just try using 1 HDD. You could do a factory reset verses a system restore since you are starting from scratch on the HDD. See if that will create the stability you are looking for.

Alternative might be to try the Smart add-in and see if it reports and HDD problems.

Hello all, and thanks.

Here my system/network setup:

Ex490 connected to D-link DGS-1008D.

All other computers/laptops connected to this switch also, or via Wlan.

Router: Fritzbox 7270, with Wlan on.

The D-link is also connected to the router.

I've now replaced the switch, which seemed to work, for a while. But then that stopped working also, or seemed to work intermittently.

Then i plugged the ex490 directly into the router, and again that seemed to work pretty good, consistently. But, the ex490 no longer stays running while other computers are on, via lights out.

The ex490, plugged into the router directly, just turned off, or rather is probably in sleep mode. I'm assuming sleep mode as while all lights are off on the ex490, i still get a ping response from it.

I've got the latest lights out add-in installed, plus the following:

Advanced Addmin 0.5.2

Lights out 1.0.3

Homer server SMART 1.0.1

This system as described above was working perfectly up to about 4 days ago. Then i noticed that the server would turn itself off (go to sleep) while i was working on my computer. ON this computer the lightsout client is installed, so the WHS should not go to sleep while i'm logged in to the computer. When i try to wake the WHS via lighs out, it does not wake. I have to go to the WHS and push the start button, and then it starts.

I guess my next step is to uninstall all add-ins?

Again, thanks for any tips.

Hello all, and thanks.

Here my system/network setup:

Ex490 connected to D-link DGS-1008D.

All other computers/laptops connected to this switch also, or via Wlan.

Router: Fritzbox 7270, with Wlan on.

The D-link is also connected to the router.

I've now replaced the switch, which seemed to work, for a while. But then that stopped working also, or seemed to work intermittently.

Then i plugged the ex490 directly into the router, and again that seemed to work pretty good, consistently. But, the ex490 no longer stays running while other computers are on, via lights out.

The ex490, plugged into the router directly, just turned off, or rather is probably in sleep mode. I'm assuming sleep mode as while all lights are off on the ex490, i still get a ping response from it.

I've got the latest lights out add-in installed, plus the following:

Advanced Addmin 0.5.2

Lights out 1.0.3

Homer server SMART 1.0.1

This system as described above was working perfectly up to about 4 days ago. Then i noticed that the server would turn itself off (go to sleep) while i was working on my computer. ON this computer the lightsout client is installed, so the WHS should not go to sleep while i'm logged in to the computer. When i try to wake the WHS via lighs out, it does not wake. I have to go to the WHS and push the start button, and then it starts.

I guess my next step is to uninstall all add-ins?

Again, thanks for any tips.

Remove Lights Out from the server and all clients and verify that everything stays connected.

Then, put Lights Out back on the server and add clients 1 by 1.

Also, from your description, it sounds like you could have had a bad wire between the router and your switch.

Good luck.

• 1 year later...

I'm having very similar problem with my HP EX490. Out of the blue, its services became unreachable but I could still ping the server. I have tried restoring the server from the recovery disc several times. After the recovery process, the server comes up just fine and everything seems to be working fine but the same problem occurs after a little while. I even tried the reinstall without any software updates thinking a subsequent software update might be the culprit but that didn't work either. At this point, I'm suspecting HP hardware problem but I cannot confirm that 100 percent since all log files get wiped after a system restore. I wished there was a video port on the system so that I may attach a monitor and be able to troubleshoot better but no such luck.

If anyone has found the culprit and/or the solution, please let me know because my next step is data recovery to move data to a new system and recycling center for this guy!

I would certainly look at RAM as a suspect. If you have other RAM available I would give it a try. I would also try running memtest86 overnight.

Can't really do a mem test unless he has a way to connect a monitor. But he could try another stick if he really suspects the RAM.

Did you say you've been doing Server Recovery? How about a fresh server reinstallation? Assuming you can perform (or already have) a BDBB and server backup, go ahead and pull everything but the OS drive and do the reinstallation. Get the Windows updates. Then add your 1 or 2 data drives back to the pool, add your backup drive without formatting it, and restore your data and backups from that.

Honestly, it sounds like a hardware problem but it's not beyond the realm of possibility that it could be an OS thing. I don't see that there's a lot you can do in the hardware category w/o a monitor but blindly change out the RAM and check the HDDs for errors.

Keep us posted on your progress.