RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

4x2TB drives. RAID 0+1 (10) Which slots

phillips321

Hi guys,

I've just acquired a gen8 G1610T model. I've also got 4 x 2TB seagate 7200rpm 64mb drive to go in there.

I'll be using the onboard raid controller which i understand allows RAID 10. I hear two of the HDD slots are sata3(6gbs) and the other two are sata2(3gbs)? As such what is the best way to plug the drives in for the best speed when configured for RAID10.

Many thanks

P.s. Also i'll be adding an SSD to the ODD SATA port, i presume this is sata2 or above?

I guess what i'm asking is it best to raid 1 both the sata3 slots and raid 1 the sata2 slots and then raid0 these together? 

Edited by phillips321

Thanks for the fast reply. I thought the slower port would bottle neck the faster ports. Odd that they didn't make them all sata3!

Excited to get the kit but am worried the CPU is going to be too slow for what i want. Might have to hunt down at 1265L

With 2TB Seagates, it won't make the slightest difference which slots you fit them to.  They'll not do much more than 130MB/s which is just over 1Gb, well within the 3Gb of SATA2.  Same with the SSD, unless you're going with one of the super-speedy drives, 390MB/s is more than fast enough.

I´m running the Xeon 1265LV2 and are happy so far. I´m not doing any processor intensive work besides a Plexserver. Doing one 1080P transcoding is about 10 percent load of the processor. I never tried the shipped processor so I can´t compare. 

I'm glad it all worked, but I normally wouldn't recommend swapping out a CPU on an untested system. I would want to ensure the system works properly as delivered before making any changes. But, as I said, it all worked out, so that's great.

Thanks for the fast reply. I thought the slower port would bottle neck the faster ports. Odd that they didn't make them all sata3!

The Intel C204 server chipset only supports 2x SATA 6Gb/s and 4x SATA 3Gb/s *shrug*