RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
PCEddie

How Many People Can Edit a Document on OneDrive?

timekills

OneDrive isn't the limiting factor; per MS there isn't a practical limit other than bandwidth and the extent of changes. Real time collaboration is intended only for minor data edits. Actual "work" outside of typical data entry is intended to be performed by one person with the spreadsheet open in Excel. Note also that you can't open a file in Excel Web App if you've enabled the "Share Workbook" feature in the spreadsheet in full Excel.

Share Workbook also allows multiple people to edit the file, but it is not displayed nor merged in real time. The changes are shown to the owner who then approves the edits to be merged into Excel, with the ability to determine wich change to keep if multiple people have changed the same cell.

PCEddie

OneDrive isn't the limiting factor; per MS there isn't a practical limit other than bandwidth and the extent of changes. Real time collaboration is intended only for minor data edits. Actual "work" outside of typical data entry is intended to be performed by one person with the spreadsheet open in Excel. Note also that you can't open a file in Excel Web App if you've enabled the "Share Workbook" feature in the spreadsheet in full Excel.

Share Workbook also allows multiple people to edit the file, but it is not displayed nor merged in real time. The changes are shown to the owner who then approves the edits to be merged into Excel, with the ability to determine wich change to keep if multiple people have changed the same cell.

Thanks timekills for the information. Your post confirms what I am discovering.

ikon

Sounds like a bit of a mess timekills. I suspect it would work best if different people were responsible for updating different portions of a spreadsheet, thus avoiding the collision issue.

jmwills

That's why Microsoft invented SharePoint!  LOL :D

ikon

That's why Microsoft invented SharePoint!  LOL :D

I was waiting for that :D

jmwills

I thought about you when I found some used Acer 340 Drive Caddies the other day.

ikon

I thought about you when I found some used Acer 340 Drive Caddies the other day.

I have a few of those around too. Actually, I thought they were excellent caddies overall.