RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
PCEddie

How Many People Can Edit a Document on OneDrive?

PCEddie

I helped a friend setup a Microsoft OneDrive account and create a Excel spreadsheet on his OneDrive. The question was raised, how many people can edit the Excel spreadsheet at the same time? We were able to verify that 2 people can edit the Excel spreadsheet at the same time. 

ikon

Question: how is the traditional 'version conflict' resolved? One of the long-time issues with editing files like Word and Excel documents is that the file that's kept is the one that's saved last. So, if John and Mary are editing an Excel workbook, and Mary closes her version of the workbook after John, Mary's version is the one that is kept.

Typically, flat files can't be edited by multiple people because it isn't possible to lock a portion of the file, unlike a relational database, which is specifically designed to permit locking individual records. Are you saying this has changed?

PCEddie

Yes, I was able to create an Excel spreadsheet within OneDrive. My friend was able to open the Excel document and I was able to open the same document. He was able to edit different cells and I was watching the edit in real time.

I was wondering what the limit if how many people can edit an document on OneDrive?

ikon

OK, you said you watched your buddy edit cells. And that's really cool. But, did you also edit some at the same time? Were all the edits saved OK to the workbook file? If so, that's much cooler. It must mean that Excel can now lock individual rows and/or columns, treating the workbook like a relational database.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I have seen five in one file at a time.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

PCEddie

Yes, we where both able to edit the same Excel workbook at the same time. I find this feature interesting, hence this post to verify this can be done.

ikon

I agree; it is interesting. I remember when MS came out with a technology that tried to provide this feature, in the 90s. It didn't work that well; it was unreliable. It appears the issues have been resolved, which is pretty neat.

schoondoggy

Yes, we where both able to edit the same Excel workbook at the same time. I find this feature interesting, hence this post to verify this can be done.

Are you using the Web App Excel to edit?

Did you create it in a shared workbook?

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Use-a-shared--workbook-to-collaborate-b8207fe9-a613-483f-b804-0ca4658b0c61?CorrelationId=1d48e724-86a9-4bf2-ae68-6ea039cf5f6c&ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

ikon

Excellent questions schoondoggy. So, a specific/special version of Excel combined with a specific/special version of workgroup.