RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N40L on-board nic is not found by BIOS

lylej

Hi folks, so I've got a N40l. I'm using the built-in nic. I'm also using a PCI-E x16 4 port SATA card, one of which my OS disk is connected to. On original The Bay bios from 2011. Been on this version for 3 years now and I haven't had this issue before. 

Turned on the machine today and it didn't boot into the OS. Plugged in a screen and saw it looking for a boot device. 

Booted into the BIOS and didn't see anything odd! Rebooted and noticed that in the post I was not prompted with the "cntrl-s" option to access the nic and I was also not prompted with the option to access the SATA cards raid settings. 

In addition to this I had a look at the network port on the back of the machine and I see that both LED's remain on and green, whether the network cable is plugged in or not. 

Used the ODD sata port to boot into the OS and as far as Window's is concerned the Nic is present and accounted for. In the Broadcom Utility however no device is present. PCI card and connected disks are not seen by the OS. Tested the card on my other machine and it works fine!

So... banana cream pie!?

Edited by lylej

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• schoondoggy

• oj88

• lylej

Top Posters In This Topic

It could be just a soft or transient error a BIOS reset or a BIOS re-flash might fix. Otherwise, the board could be toast.

I hope it's just the former.

NIC doesn't work regardless of connected hardware. 

I'll try reflash with the latest modded BIOS and see how it behaves beyond that. 

Slightly off topic, I'm now thinking about trying to salvage what I can. I have 4 disks in the G7, in a raid 0 array. I just received my G8. Is it possible to migrate the disks, as is, to the G8, with the array + data in tact?

It really seems like the onboard NIC is dead. One obvious fix is to install an add-in NIC.

I would never try to migrate a RAID array from one system to another without having backup. Personally, I would want at least 2 verified full backups of everything in the array.

Both NIC and PCIe slot dead? I think the board is done. You could work your way around it by using a USB NIC, for instance, but I don't think I could ever trust the board from here on.

Time to retire the beast.

Oh, missed the part where the PCIe card wasn't detected. In that case, yeah, I would not trust that board. I would be trying to get the data off that system ASAP.

Yeah, thats what I'm trying to do at present. I've deleted two of the disks from the array. Have them as two separate volumes now along side the one LUN which contains the intact data. Busy copying over 6tb's of data to the two single MS volumes... not fun! 

Thought about the USB nic but wasn't sure if it'd just slow things down due speed restrictions the USB port would enforce. 

Is there any chance that the nic alone on the board can be replaced? I mean at least that way I can salvage the case cos at present, with out a network card/options, this unit is looking like a great dust collector.

Frankly, I seriously doubt the problem is limited to the NIC. Internally, the on-board NIC is attached to the PCIe bus. And since the PCIe slot appeared to have died at the same time as the NIC, there's really a big likelihood that the problem is much much deeper... maybe as far as involving the Northbridge chipset.

There's really no way to economically fix the board, IMHO. You either sell it for parts or find a system board donor online.

(Borrowed the following architecture from corelis.com)

AMD-CPU.png