RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Difference between R2 Standard and Essentials?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• Don W

• jmwills

• nrf

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it would survive most recoveries. However, if the hardware changed too much, it might trigger a re-activation.

HellDiverUK

You can still access your Technet keys, but only if you generated a key before Technet died.  I generated all the keys I could before they turned it off, and dumped them to a CSV, so I still have some unused.  

MS really screwed us by killing Technet. :(

yes, I miss my technet, although I voluntarily skipped its last year because of the 'subscription model' they came up with.

over time more and more of the products I got off of it are rolling off into the 'toxic' or "don't care" state , but when I  find a client who needs to get out of one of the toxic old products it helps to have them in my toolkit for exploratory use in a VM. a recent project involved a port from '2000 advanced server' which was beyond the event horizon of my toolkit, but server 2003 served as a good host for the old sql server I needed to migrate from.

but I still review and 'count' my keys from the good old days... :)  I have yet to have one of them fail to activate.

Drashna Jaelre

OK, technically, you have to buy CALs for that server. I don't recall for sure the minimum # required, but I think it's something like 25. That makes for an expensive server OS, at least for home use. Might be cheaper to buy WSE2012 outright.... or perhaps wait for Win10.

Yeah, you're supposed to have 25 user CALs MINIMUM if you install the essentials role.

However, as stated, for home use, you can get away with this....

As for the activation, do you mean you activated, wiped and can't activate again? If so, use the phone activation method. They should have no problem activating it in that case.

As for the activation, do you mean you activated, wiped and can't activate again? If so, use the phone activation method. They should have no problem activating it in that case.

He did say he talked to MS and was told DreamSpark licences can only be activated once, so.........