RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Difference between R2 Standard and Essentials?

On Microsoft Dreamspark I can get Essentials and Standard, and long story short (I did not know you can only activate their software once), I no longer can use Essentials. So is Standard easy to use in a home environment?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• Don W

• jmwills

• nrf

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it would survive most recoveries. However, if the hardware changed too much, it might trigger a re-activation.

OK, technically, you have to buy CALs for that server. I don't recall for sure the minimum # required, but I think it's something like 25. That makes for an expensive server OS, at least for home use. Might be cheaper to buy WSE2012 outright.... or perhaps wait for Win10.

That's why I said "technically". If you use it without buying CALs you are in breach of MS' EULA. I'm not saying MS will come after you, but that isn't the same as saying it's legal.

right, I used the dreamspark 'R2 datacenter' version + the essentials role and it does not appear to insist on any CALs. However, I have read that you are supposed to have them. It still has a limit on the number of essentials clients, and that limit is disjoint from regular CALs so this whole licensing thing seems like a tangled mess.

The up side is you can legally run the hyper-v feature in that scenario.

Unlike my older core-2 systems, the N54L is compatible with the latest hyper-v.

Edited by nrf

Woah, wait, what?? DreamSpark licences can only be activated once? That's news.

That is what Dreamspark tech support told me. I installed R2 Essentials and activated it, but unknown to me the new SSD I installed it on was bad and I kept on getting errors, so I finally figured out, thanks to Drashna and Schoondoggy for all their help, that the SSD I bought was bad so I replaced it and re-installed R2 Essentials only to find out that it can only be activated once. So now my options are, WHS 2011 I bought, Server 2012 Essentials from Technet, or 2012 R2 Standard from Dreamspark.

Edited by Don W