RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Microserver not showing temperature of LOM sensor?

rbetogt

Hello!

This is my first post in the forums after having some problems at registration, but it seems to work normally now. I have been reading and visitng frequently the forums, really nice posts and information here!

I got a Gen8 Microserver in October 2014 and haven't used it until now because of very few free time after uni and masters thesis experiments and writing...

Reading and watching Joe_Miner's posts, videos and excellent tutorials, I saw that my server is not showing the "13-LOM System Sensor" ans it shows it as "not installed". is this the problem of the ILO update, or do I have a faulty unit?

Hopefully somebody can help me check where the problem might be, and thanks a lot in advance

attached a picture

IMAGE REMOVED

EDIT: really funy the 1 post wonder above my avatar <_<:)

Edited by cskenney
Images removed per member request

My microserver shows the same thing. I'm not sure why though. I've seen screenshots from other people with a LOM reading but also I've seen screenshots that show not installed. It seems to be the more recent units that don't have a LOM temperature sensor reading so HP may have changed something in the hardware.

Some times iLo takes a while to gather data. How long after booting are you checking?

I've never seen a value for the LOM temperature sensor. My microserver has been up and running ESXi 5.5 for weeks now and it still says not installed. PCI1 and Supercap Max also show as not installed but I assume they're for the optional P222 RAID card with FBWC.

I've never seen a value for the LOM temperature sensor. My microserver has been up and running ESXi 5.5 for weeks now and it still says not installed. PCI1 and Supercap Max also show as not installed but I assume they're for the optional P222 RAID card with FBWC.

I don't think I am a conspiracy theory guy, but,,,,, 

The LOM on this server runs too hot. The threshold warning numbers in iLo were too high. I actually think they were confusing Fahrenheit with Centigrade. Now it looks like the have just turned the sensor data off.

If the server is less than a year old, I would open a ticket with HP and have them explain this.

I don't think I am a conspiracy theory guy, but,,,,, 

The LOM on this server runs too hot. The threshold warning numbers in iLo were too high. I actually think they were confusing Fahrenheit with Centigrade. Now it looks like the have just turned the sensor data off.

If the server is less than a year old, I would open a ticket with HP and have them explain this.

Ahh. That does sound suspiciously like the reason why the LOM temperature sensor only appears on some units.

I'm still in the first year and I've got the carepack also so I'll open a ticket to see what HP say.

In Linux/bios/IP I have no LOM sensor. If I install Windows and boot, after a couple of minutes it appears, I assume it's bmc/driver related. It was there in 2008R2 using the intelligent provisioning to install drivers, and on 2012 R2 with just a plain iso install (not during, but after).

• Like 1

Hello guys,

Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions!!

@Scoondoggy: I have checked some minutes after boot and today it has been running the whole day and it still shows as "not installed"

I wrote HP on Friday and they answered today, I hope that I will not break any agreements with the forums and/or HP, if so, please mods, delete

This is the answer that I got from them today:

(**translated**)

---

Dear Mr. rbetogt,

The LOM is the sensor for the onboard network card. The next important question would be whether 
the network card is working or not. If it is, this is an error indication. 
If the network card does not work, then please tell me.

If you look under the  iLO web GUI,  under System Information -> The Temperatures look 
at it is stated to you with nr.13. These are the temperatures that you looked when you 
drag the report in the screenshot "sensor temp".

If the network card works, then it may be that the error is located at the old iLO 
firmware version. What I find a bit surprising is that you have a strange BIOS version
 on the server. On our web-site can be found with the date 11.09.2013 
and your log file shows -> System ROM: 06/06/2014

please do the following 2 updates (in the case of BIOS actually a downgrade):

ILO firmware and BIOS links

---

should I do them?

what do you advise?

I am getting a little bit confused atm...

Edited by rbetogt

In Linux/bios/IP I have no LOM sensor. If I install Windows and boot, after a couple of minutes it appears, I assume it's bmc/driver related. It was there in 2008R2 using the intelligent provisioning to install drivers, and on 2012 R2 with just a plain iso install (not during, but after).

I was going to say that I thought with my system that the LOM didn't show up in my data until I installed (via HP IP) windows 2012R2. So maybe it needs a Windows driver to report it.

I may be rebuilding my system (by doing a total clean wipe down), so if I do I will let you know.

Edited by iandrews