RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

OneDrive + Stable Bit: This will work right?

DocACE911

Before I go down this road... (I have WHS V1 now and nearing EOL)...

Was going to get a Thecus W4000 .... seems no brainer and 3-4 3TB RED NAS

I have the "near unlimited" onedrive with my academic Office 365

Think stablebit seems best vs drivebender (listened to podcast!)

1. Install the 2012 Essentials Pack to get the onedrive client

2. After creating my "drive pool" put hte onedrive folder on that

3. Then I can create all my network shares INSIDE the Onedrive (Moveis, TV Shows, Music, Documnets, Photos, Pictures, Archives, TV Recroding"

4. Then I will have local duplication (from the Stablebit like Drive Extender) AND onedrive should just "work " right???

Is there anything Onedrive does with symbolic links or anything that would break the above??

Is tehre a smarter way to use onedrive as my offsite backup?

OneDrive raised the file size limit from 2GB to 10GB, Business accounts appear to have a limit of 20,000 files, but it appears that personal accounts have a limit of 10,000,000 files. Does anyone have better detail on size and quantity limits for the different versions of OneDrive.

Guys, if the OP puts a symlink to OneDrive in his StableBit DrivePool pool, will it actually duplicate anything locally? Even if he uses Folder Replication for the symlink folder (can that even be done?) will it replicate? Drashna, where are you? ;)

Hearing?  It's being shouted.  Server 2003 goes EOL in either April or June of this year.

"nearing" not hearing!!!

:)

STill it is a testimony to WHS V1 how well it has lasted on my HP EX945 and my 9 2TB drives.

The above is the simplest solution and will work correct? It "should" i was just concerned as I remember reading that MS had done some funky things with the file system for onedrive (but the Server 2012 install will use the win7 cleint so should be ok)

OneDrive raised the file size limit from 2GB to 10GB, Business accounts appear to have a limit of 20,000 files, but it appears that personal accounts have a limit of 10,000,000 files. Does anyone have better detail on size and quantity limits for the different versions of OneDrive.

I wa aware the file size limit is 10GB now, but never thought about # of files. Just searched Bing

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/forum/sdfiles/maximum-number-of-files/a41c6e26-482d-408e-af43-4809b4560bad

Buisness (as of Nov 2014) is limtied to 20k. The personal seems not to be listed, one MVP (see link) is at 49k and still going.

I think for backing up (well redundency really) my RAW photos, music, home movies, TV shows, BDrips (star trek has taken me an eternity), DVD (yes, I still will watch Babylon 5 again someday), 49k should suffice.

Storing the OneDrive folder on StableBit DrivePool will NOT work on Windows 8 or 8.1 currently, due to the fact that Microsoft uses unique file system links (similar to symlink/reparse point/etc).

It will work fine on Windows 7, and apparently Windows 10, but not 8.X. 

Hearing?  It's being shouted.  Server 2003 goes EOL in either April or June of this year.

https://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3198

July 14th, specifically.

And yes, it's definitely Server 2003 and NOT Server 2003R2 for the base OS.

ANd .... We still get WHSv1 requests for StableBit Scanner (2-3 this month, actually).

So WHSv1 is still alive. And it was BY FAR the BEST looking server OS.

Also, another important point... OneDrive throttles like crazy.

Storing the OneDrive folder on StableBit DrivePool will NOT work on Windows 8 or 8.1 currently, due to the fact that Microsoft uses unique file system links (similar to symlink/reparse point/etc).

It will work fine on Windows 7, and apparently Windows 10, but not 8.X. 

https://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3198

Also, another important point... OneDrive throttles like crazy.

But Server 2012+Onedrive is using the Windows 7 client. Not the "placeholders" of Win8/8.1 (that are removed in win10 also).

That is why I thought it should work. Other wise I can't think of a good system (without having a separate drive/drives dedicated to ondrive) to keep everything in the coud...

Yeah, I am sure It will take 6 months to upload all my stuff to onedrive. Once there (since I get 365 for life, faculty) only the delta gets uploaded...

So I assume you are partial to StableBit :)

By "Windows 8 and 8.1" do you mean only those 2, or does it apply to other OS' based on the same core: i.e. WS2012/R2 and WSE2012/R2?

Annnnnd, if someone is using Win7 with DP, and creates a symlink to OneDrive in their DP pool, and sets that folder to be replicated, will they get a backup copy of the contents on their local drive?

But Server 2012+Onedrive is using the Windows 7 client. Not the "placeholders" of Win8/8.1 (that are removed in win10 also).

That is why I thought it should work. Other wise I can't think of a good system (without having a separate drive/drives dedicated to ondrive) to keep everything in the coud...

Yeah, I am sure It will take 6 months to upload all my stuff to onedrive. Once there (since I get 365 for life, faculty) only the delta gets uploaded...

So I assume you are partial to StableBit :)

If it's actually using the WIndows 7 binaries (files), then it may be fine. I'd have to test to be certain about this.

And I may be slightly partial. :P 

Check my signature.

By "Windows 8 and 8.1" do you mean only those 2, or does it apply to other OS' based on the same core: i.e. WS2012/R2 and WSE2012/R2?

Annnnnd, if someone is using Win7 with DP, and creates a symlink to OneDrive in their DP pool, and sets that folder to be replicated, will they get a backup copy of the contents on their local drive?

As far as I'm aware, the server OS's don't feature the normal OneDrive client. 

If they do, then they'd have issues as well. However, if it's using a different client, then it may not have issues.

As for the SymLink... it is depending on the OneDrive client, not the OS specifically.

The OneDrive client for WIndows 8.X uses the weird file system links, while the Windows 7 one doesn't. 

So as long as it's not using the weird links, then yes, it should get duplicated properly.