RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

VM for 2012/Win7 MCE/Kodi.tv clients...

DocACE911

First, forgive me getting caught up on this VM stuff - been ignoring too long..

I have been searching the forum, found a wikipedia article on the different VMs, and now think I have a decent use case but unsure which VM is best...

Was thinking of building a 2012 Essentials R2 server for Home and use a Win7 VM for my CETON inifinity4  PCIe tuner/media center so my Kodi.tv Clients can operate.

So

1. Hyper-V is included in 2012 R2 Essentials so no need for license

2. TS140 server (xenon) for hardware/8GB

3. Run a WIn7 Pro as a VM and have it see the Ceton PCIe card.

4. Hardware/PCI issues

- So, there are some issues I know with USB... but what about PCI?

- The ceton is PCIe so will the Win7 pro see this to install the network tuner adapters (ceton creates a network bridge with a new IP)? Will that network tuner adapter be visible to clients?

5. Run serverWMC (kodi service) on the Win7 VM so the Kodi.tv clinets can see the tuner pool (works great now with stand alone win7 box)

6. Not break essentials so all my backups work :)

7. Install Onedrive so my unlimited backup will actually have a purpose for my stablebit DrivePool

Is the above dooable or just give up now and stop reading?

If Hyper-V won't work with the PCIe and the network bridge created by CETON will any other virt box?

With HyperV, there isn't a way to pass on the PCIe device, unfortunately. :(

If you had the HD HomeRun, then that wouldn't be an issue, but here... it will be.

I think VMWare ESXi may let you do this though. I'm not sure, as I stopped messing with live TV on a PC a long while ago (just too frustrating for not enough gain). 

With HyperV, there isn't a way to pass on the PCIe device, unfortunately. :(

If you had the HD HomeRun, then that wouldn't be an issue, but here... it will be.

I think VMWare ESXi may let you do this though. I'm not sure, as I stopped messing with live TV on a PC a long while ago (just too frustrating for not enough gain). 

Arg. I really thought you could. Damn. So using the HDHomerun Prime (since it is just a network device would work).

But then you need a sepera NIC card fro the HyperV or does sharing of a single port actually owrk?

There is no great live tv solution. The boxes from comcast are expensive , slow, etc. Kodi.tv is pretty robust and having a central storage for all recordings is great.

Also with iOS versions of KODI and surface you get live tv everywhere... not bad.

Arg. I really thought you could. Damn. So using the HDHomerun Prime (since it is just a network device would work).

There ... are ways, IIRC. But the last time I looked was years ago... and they were either really expensive or very unstable.... 

I can dig them up if you want, but they may be abandonware by now...

As for HyperV, you can use a single NIC, but it's like any other switches.... the more ports you have, the more you can spread out IO, and reduce bottlenecking.

Also, it's always a good idea to have a dedicated "host management" NIC, and a dedicated VM switch. But it's not necessary. (but for $50, buy and intel NIC...)

No, there isn't. I switched away from recorded TV 5 or so years ago, when the push to HD was just happening, and the whole CableCard bullshit was being really pushed. Only Windows Media Center really supported it, IIRC. 

XBMC/Kodi has come a long way since then and is a great solution. As long as you can get the PVR backend working.

There ... are ways, IIRC. But the last time I looked was years ago... and they were either really expensive or very unstable.... 

I can dig them up if you want, but they may be abandonware by now...

As for HyperV, you can use a single NIC, but it's like any other switches.... the more ports you have, the more you can spread out IO, and reduce bottlenecking.

Also, it's always a good idea to have a dedicated "host management" NIC, and a dedicated VM switch. But it's not necessary. (but for $50, buy and intel NIC...)

No, there isn't. I switched away from recorded TV 5 or so years ago, when the push to HD was just happening, and the whole CableCard bullshit was being really pushed. Only Windows Media Center really supported it, IIRC. 

XBMC/Kodi has come a long way since then and is a great solution. As long as you can get the PVR backend working.

Well the "backend" that works is MediaCenter so it is really solid. The client implementation now is stable and nice (pooled tuners etc). 

I was planning to get that new Thecus Box (W4000) but only 1 NIC.... 

• 5 months later...

Not to hijack, but I'm planning almost exactly the same setup just now.

I was thinking about esxi on the MSG8 with one win8.1 VM running WMC and Serverwmc for my live/recorded TV(i'm using HDHomerun),  and general mediacentre tasks (torrents, Mediacentermaster etc.)

I was going to use freenas for the NAS as I dont really know much about WS2012 or stablebits, but it could be time for me to learn some WS2012 if there's any benefits I'd use.

Did you get this setup running and any recommendations?

• 1 month later...