RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
danielsan123

What do you virtualise on your Gen8?

danielsan123

Hi!

I´m curious what you all virtualising on your Gen8 server? ESXi or Hyper-V and what are the hypervisor hosting? 

Myself I´m still struggling installing the Hyper-V but plans are hosting:

Webserver - Server2012R2

AD, DNS    - Server2012R2

Minecraftserver -Ubuntu

SQL-Server - Server2012R2

Fileserver - Server2012R2

Plex/downloadserver - Win8.1

Best regards Daniel

artiom

I installed Hyper-V 2012 R2 via intelligent provisioning - everything went fine from the first try.

Currently it is running the following VMs:

- Win 2012 R2 - App-V server - serves virtualized and preinstalled apps. I'm not happy yet how it works, probably will just scrap it.

- Win 2012 R2 - Teamcity CI server - continuously builds and deploys my internal projects.

- Win 2012 R2 - Active Directory Domain server (+DHCP +DNS) - really nice thing. No more frustrations with different accounts on different computers, access rights on network, sharing issues, etc.

- Win 2012 R2 - SQL server - manages all used databases.

- Win 2012 R2 - VPN server - provides remote access into network. Not yet happy as haven't managed yet to configure certificate-based authentication.

- Win 2012 R2 - Windows Deployment Services - no more fiddling with ISOs. Serves all needed Windows images for network installation.

- Win 8.1 - Some simple stuff +downloads.

- Ubuntu - git server.

- A few more disabled VMs that I am not using at the moment.

All Windows VMs are using dynamic memory feature which allows to pack a lot of VMs and still have some free RAM for experiments ;)

All VMs are backed up via Hyper-V backup once a week.

Everything is running fine since installation in Sep 2014.

adster01

Installed esxi 5.5

I have Windows Server 2012 Essentials and pfsense running as VM's.

ikon

Interesting. People have reported having issues with ESXi 5.5. A number of them have gone back to 5.1.

rbetogt

I installed ESXi 5.5 U2 and now it looks like this:

WS2012R2

Ubuntu server - plex -samba shares

Ubuntu Desktop - all in one machine

Interesting. People have reported having issues with ESXi 5.5. A number of them have gone back to 5.1.

wow, surely I have not informed myself so well, I will look into it. Thanks for the info

ikon

IIRC, it mostly had to do with being able to pass certain devices through to VMs. There are posts about it in these forums.

danielsan123

Adding to my planned list - owncloud server

Running one fysical at the moment.  

Royco

I've never done virtualisation before.

Could someone perhaps explain the benefit of running separate operating systems instead of one? 

Example, why not use one Win 2012 instance?

- Win 2012 R2 - App-V server - serves virtualized and preinstalled apps. I'm not happy yet how it works, probably will just scrap it.

- Win 2012 R2 - Teamcity CI server - continuously builds and deploys my internal projects.

- Win 2012 R2 - Active Directory Domain server (+DHCP +DNS) - really nice thing. No more frustrations with different accounts on different computers, access rights on network, sharing issues, etc.

- Win 2012 R2 - SQL server - manages all used databases.

- Win 2012 R2 - VPN server - provides remote access into network. Not yet happy as haven't managed yet to configure certificate-based authentication.

- Win 2012 R2 - Windows Deployment Services - no more fiddling with ISOs. Serves all needed Windows images for network installation.

I don't mean to troll. I'm genuinely interested.

ikon

Royco, that could entail a very long answer, because there are many reasons to run VMs. However, to keep it short, here are just a few:

1. testing. Rather than have to set up a physical computer, a VM can be set up to see if a particular OS or application is something you want;
  2. separation of applications. It's often better to run heavy-duty applications, such as Exchange or SQL Server in their own environment, to avoid conflicts between apps;
  3. upgrading/rebooting. This allows you to install a patch or update that requires a reboot without having to take down all your apps. E.g. you update SQL Server. The update requires a reboot. You can reboot the SQL Server VM without having to reboot the Exchange VM.
  4. fewer physical boxes/save space. Many corporations want this. They can set up a somewhat more powerful server than they ordinarily use and run 3, 4, or 5 VMs on it, thus taking 3, 4, or 5 physical computers out of service. This saves space and power.
  5. save power. One somewhat more powerful computer uses less power than 3, 4, or 5 physical boxes.

Trig0r

At the minute I have my Gen8 running 2012r2, then Hyper-V running a torrent box and a plex server.

I am however thinking of changing the setup and having Hyper-V on the server and then setting up a VM for "2012 Essentials", then having the torrent box and plex box, then in theory, if the essentials box started to play up I could rebuild the VM a bit quicker than rebuilding the entire box..