RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Installing Hyper-V to SSD

danielsan123

The easiest, and most reliable, way to ensure you don't wipe out data drives is to disconnect them from the system while installing the OS. After the OS is installed, you can reattach the data drives and have them detected by the OS.

I´m afraid the that OS (server2012R2) will force me to re-raid them again. I´ll better make a distaster recovery test before installing to much.

Soon I´m heading for ESXi instead... not nowing that would be better though.

Edited by danielsan123

If these drives are RAIDed using the B120i, I wouldn't think they would require re-RAIDing. But, by all means, do all your testing before putting the unit into production.

I managed to get stuff running properly. Running three guestOS at the moment. one DC, one Filesever (both server 2012R2) and a one Ubuntu running Minecraft server and Plexserver. All guestOS hosting on the SSD together with the HyperV-host. Sharing a virtual disk from the raided 10 WD Red-disks within the fileserver. Working great so far.

Everything went fine. I forgot setting the SSD as the first array. When doing so the second array with the 4 WD Red disks can be intact even if reinstalling.  :)

I do have one issue regarding an Ubuntu-server. It´s running Ubntu-14.10-server-amd64

I have set startup memory to 1500 MB and Minimum to 1500 MB. Maximum is 6000 GB. I can see it´s assigned about 2500 MB ram running Plex and Mnecraft (low load). But memory demoand is 5300 MB. Why isn´t assigning mre memory? I have 16 GB ram and rest of guestoS is running at 2000 MB together. 

1. Use ACU, add SSD as volume (rait0)

2. Set boot order in ACU (select SSD as primary)

3. Use Intellegent Provisioning

4. Install HP update and update system (whole system, including firmwares, if needed)

5. Be lucky.