RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Installing Hyper-V to SSD

danielsan123

Hi!

Yesterday all upgrade parts arrived. Intel Xeon E3 1265L2 processor, two 8GB udimm memories, four 3TB WD red disks and a 500 GB SSD. I´ve created two arrays with the four WD disk in one raid 10 and the SSD disk placed in the ODD as array 2. The B120 array controller is enabled and I tried install Server 2012R2 from Intelligent Provisioning but I´m not able to choose array target for the OS. The Intelligent Provisioning only shows raidcontroller as target. Why isn´t array-level presented? After work I hope I can manage try boot from DVD instead and se if that solves the issue.

Any of you managed to solve this issue? Also wondering if sharing Hyper-V host on the SSD together with other guests is best practise? I intend to have the 4 WD red disk mainly for datastorage and having guest OS on the SSD.

Best regards Daniel

I wouldn't share anything with the Host OS on that one SSD.  If I had your setup, I'd buy another 500 GB SSD and put the two in a RAID 1 for VM's and get an 80 GB for the host OS.

• Like 1

Thanks for input. I believe I´m above budget already :-). Is there any I/O considerations sharing the SSD or is it just for security? 

It's strictly I/O.  For the record, I have three 240GB SSD's in a RAID1 and those 9 VM's that are running, FAST.  My only limitation is RAM.

• Like 1

Actually, with the B120i, you can create single drive RAID0 arrays. It's how you pass single drives through to the OS if you don't put the B120i into AHCI mode.

It seems pretty obvious to say that the installer doesn't have the B120i driver installed, but I thought IP was supposed to take care of that, although I think I recall reading something about it not working with WS2012R2.

Since deleting the array with th ODD SSD-disc I only get partition signature != 55AA. Both from USB and USB-cdrom. Will try to make an array with the single SSD.

Edit - same error with arraying the SSD - edit

Edited by danielsan123