RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

The Beginning of the End

Al_Borges

Anyone else notice  -   if you were using the weather gadget on your Windows 7 desktop,   it stopped working after the recent updates

"Cannot Connect to Service"

called Microsoft support ( nothing better do)   and was told that desktop gadgets where no longer supported.    

Perhaps the 1st, if somewhat benign, fallout of end of main stream support for windows 7.

Another one that was snuck in on us - 

support for WMC extenders.

Thurrott briefly mentioned this in Windows Weekly -   W8/W8.1 only supports Xbox 360 media extenders.

I have an old Samsung MediaLive Extender and I could not get my W8 Home server to connect to it -   now I know why

Ceton also mentions it on their website 

Its widely believed that the XBox one will never get WMC extender capability 

what has been the experience around the patch ?

I like windows 10 and truly believe that the guts of both W8 and W10 are an improvement over W7 -   but  we will also get pushed into making some changes 

Look to see if you have KB3052562 installed on the client.  Uninstall it and try that process again.  This particular update caused some similar issues with 2012ER2

I only want to make sure it's clear which update we're talking about, so people coming here for the first time won't get steered wrong. Heck, even Al_Borges may find he does have the update :D

HellDiverUK

You should have disabled Windows Desktop Gadgets years ago, due to the various security nightmares it opens.  It's the first thing we do at work when installing 7, is removing Gadgets.

We do have a way of getting steered off topic on these forums

the point I was making is that we could be seeing the push off W7  by MS

I did associate this with the recent update and KB3023562  was installed  2/12   

Gadgets were replaced by tiles starting Windows 8, but I wasn't aware they had turned off the feeds.  It seems like the same RSS feed could be used for both.

HellDiverUK

I've already said this, and I'm not sure why people are continuing to discuss the whys and wherefores, and wondering what's happening.  

Desktop Gadgets have "serious vulnerabilities" and should not be used.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/gadgets

It's been recommended to disable them since July 2012 using a hotfix which totally removes the Gadget platform:

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/2719662

I hope that's clear for everyone? :)

It's got nothing to do with "MS ending support for Windows 7".  It's them finally turning off support for a broken thing nearly 2.5 years after they told everyone to stop using it.