RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Domain Controller Update

drwhatley

I have 3 domain controllers in our production environment. My goal is to run windows updates on each one individually so as to only take one out at a time. My question is, should I be worried about clients connected to a controller having issues if the controller reboots? My understanding is they should automatically take to the next controller. I only do updates once every 6 months to a year, so I know the machine will have to restart several times. Will clients experience any more than a couple seconds of grief or a blip?

A user get authenticated via the same DC most all the time.  The only disruption anyone would see on a reboot, would be a re-request to authenticate.  But this happens so fast that most users usually think nothing of it

A user get authenticated via the same DC most all the time.  The only disruption anyone would see on a reboot, would be a re-request to authenticate.  But this happens so fast that most users usually think nothing of it

That's what I thought. I just needed some confirmation. Thanks for the reply and assistance.