RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

eero Wifi

Dave

I recently poo-poo’d eero’s pricing on their unreleased WiFi product.  I mean come on,  $500 for a WiFi solution?

eero-300x138.png

I’ve come to realize that this is a unique offer for the price and I had better get onboard. Especially after they raised “One Million Dollars” in two days.

I’ve had a love hate relationship with my Wifi. A single Wifi router then a router with an add on Access Point, then another, then scrapped that and went to Apple Airport WDS, then scrapped that, etc, etc.  I now have Ubiquiti.  I love the thought of having a roaming Wifi system all managed from one point.  It does that and it does it pretty good after you work out where each access point needs to be in your house.  It’s not as speedy as I would like it to be though.  I purchased the cheapest version I could possibly get.  Three AP’s for $190 to $200.  It’s 2.4 only.  B/G/N

Article continued on mccabe.io

Source: mccabe.io  http://mccabe.io/i-changed-my-mind-on-wifi.html

schoondoggy

I think we will see a lot around mesh WiFi in the next 12 months. 

eero does deal nicely with managing multiple access points and some house layouts require multiple AP.

Anything that decouples the WiFI from the router is a good thing.

POE would have been a nice feature, but the target audience would have no idea what POE is for.

JROrtiz

After much smack-talking about eero, I bit the bullet and pre-ordered as well. My biggest issue was the Apple-like narrative that they "invented" the mesh style solution when products like Ubiquiti have been out there for a while. On top of that, seeing the tech sites and editors go nuts over this was very frustrating since I would think that these people would know about the similar solutions that are out there today. Of course, the draw here is the consumer friendly simplicity it has to offer. Once I dug a little deeper into the product though, I decided to at least give it a shot, especially since their FAQ says that they will accept returns. Plus, wouldn't want to miss out on the much more palatable $300 for 3.  

What really made me come around on the eero, is when I discovered that they will ship with an optional OpenWRT build for power users. I currently have a Nighthawk with DD-WRT on it which gives me quite a bit of functionality that, as far as I can tell, the standard eero software wouldn't support. I'm not sure how they will integrate their mesh stuff into that OpenWRT build, but it was enough to convince me to give it a shot. At the end of the day, even if it ends up being too basic for my use, I can always put them in my parent's home since it would probably be much simpler to manage for them than the router/multiple AP setup that exists now. 

JROrtiz

Also, forgot to mention, came across this reddit post which also helped convince me to order it. An eero employee responds to tons of questions about the product and even shares some technical details (not too much of course). Worth a look for anyone on the fence.

Jason

I was fortunate to pre-order 3 devices for the discount before it expired. Worst case they will accept product returns. Though it's my understanding one of the 3 Eero units must be connected directly to a cable or DSL modem and not to an existing router. In other words, they can't all just be used to create blanket access point coverage. If so, I'll likely return them unless they add this firmware feature.