RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server 2012 Ess R2 Installation problems

Don W

Not quite sure where my problem is during the installation but I get all the way to the end of the install and get the following error "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you. If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error. 0xc000021a" At first I thought it was the network chip on my motherboard so I bought an Intel card that Schoondoggy recommended, but that did not help. The ASUS motherboard I am trying to install this on is new with an X97 chipset, since I was having problems I went to my other PC and tried to install it onto that one which is also an ASUS but with an X87 chipset and it also failed at the same point. So, does anyone have any ideas?? If you need more info, just let me know. 

TIA

Don

There used to be a trick to disabling the NIC on some installs to let the install continue without checking the card.  You might want to try that.

I have successfully installed WHS 2011 but both Server 2012 & 2012 R2 have the same error. Isn't 2012 and WHS 2011 based on server 2008? If so wouldn't WHS fail too?

This is the BSOD that you're seeing specifically:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff560177(v=vs.85).aspx

This is a pretty bad one :(

I'd recommend checking your RAM immediately. 

After that ....check the drives.

Thank you Drashna, I would never have thought that the SSD I just bought for this server was the bad part, I looked up the link you provided and it led to both RAM and hard drive errors. I swapped in a new HDD and it works fine. I guess I'll be going back to Fry's in the morning.

Don

Thank you Drashna, I would never have thought that the SSD I just bought for this server was the bad part, I looked up the link you provided and it led to both RAM and hard drive errors. I swapped in a new HDD and it works fine. I guess I'll be going back to Fry's in the morning.

Don

Yeah, the system disk (and sometimes, other disks) can absolutely cause BSODs... 

And I'm sorry to hear that it was the SSD that was the issue.

But glad it is a simple fix!

It is a real shame that manufacturers have left their QA up to their customers. Not being able to rely on components when building a server really slows things down.