RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

E3-1260L

Trig0r

Right, swapped out my i3-3220T for one of these, its 45w which is outside of the specs of the heatsink.

I've not turned off any of the CPU functions in the BIOS and so far at idle temps are the same.

I've installed the Intel XTU and if I need too adjust the voltages through that, so far maxed out using XTU's Stress Test running for 10 minutes it hit 70oC according to XTU itself but the iLO console said 68oC.

I was almost out of CPU goop though so might end up reapplying when I get some more as well as sticking a better heatsink, perhaps something with a FAN on it.

So far though Plex is more responsive, which is exactly what I wanted...

That's good news. With the thermal paste, remember that less is more. You only want just enough to cover the CPU. The best, tested method I've seen is to apply it like this:

gallery_502_13_53805.jpg

As I recall it, the picture of the X comes from a site that ran about 20 different methods of application pattern before measuring the temperature on each CPU.

Ultimately it makes very little difference (2 degrees here or there) but they proved the X was the best pattern to use (for that given processor I guess).

CISCO recommend...

334295.jpg

As I said, it seemed to make very little difference in the grand scheme of things. (They also noted that drawing a smiley face was as effective as the rice size dot in the middle of the processor and in a pinch you can use toothpaste and your CPU wont explode).

Edited by Harroguk

As I recall it, the picture of the X comes from a site that ran about 20 different methods of application pattern before measuring the temperature on each CPU.

Ultimately it makes very little difference (2 degrees here or there) but they proved the X was the best pattern to use (for that given processor I guess).

Yes, the idea of the X is from that site. I don't think it's a case of "for that processor" though. Even coverage is even coverage, no matter what make or model of CPU.

Yes, the idea of the X is from that site. I don't think it's a case of "for that processor" though. Even coverage is even coverage, no matter what make or model of CPU.

I was just looking at it scientifically ;) multiple tests on a single processor dont create a big enough dataset to say it is true for EVERY processor.

I was just looking at it scientifically ;) multiple tests on a single processor dont create a big enough dataset to say it is true for EVERY processor.

I understand what you're saying but, in this case, I don't think an extensive data set is required. I think it's an irrelevant parameter. The point is to get even coverage of the CPU surface. If that's achieved there really isn't anything more that can be done. I suppose it's possible that a different pattern might be better if a CPU had a cover that wasn't flat, but I wouldn't use a CPU like that anyway.

beginning to get off topic here but IMO, things like the Integrated heatsink shape and CPU (The actual CPU) shape/core location may also have an effect, I don't know but I'm not confident enough to say outright, it wont have an effect.

Either way, like the pattern it will probably make so little difference as to effectively be meaningless.