RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
pandemonium

XPenology Issue With Startup Power Schedules

pandemonium

Setup

• HP Microserver Gen7
  • 5 x 3Tb WD Red HDDs (2 x 4Tb RAID1, 2 x 3Tb RAID1, 1 X 3Tb normal)
  • 16Gb RAM
  • XPenology OS on USB

I've flashed the bios with the new HP BIOS released last year and made the settings as required:

Chipset > SouthBridge Configuration > SB Sata Configuration

• “SATA IDE Combined Mode” – DISABLED  (to set ports 5/6 to AHCI)
  • “SATA ESP on all PORTs” – ENABLED        (to set all ports to be external SATA)
  • “SATA POWER on all PORTs” – ENABLED
And,
  • Set IDE speed to 3.0Gbps
  • Save and Exit out of BIOS
This works perfectly and all 5 HDDs are recognised. I then need to unplug the Microserver and mount it in my rack (I take it to my TV to set the BIOS as I don't have a monitor).

But, in doing so, these settings are seemingly lost (I think) because the XPenology system doesn't find the 5th HDD anymore!

What could be the possible reasons? Is my batteryDoes my battery need changing (Its about 2 years old)? Any idea why my settings get lost?

Thanks in advance.
Edited by pandemonium
  • Like 1

ikon

The first thing I would do is take it back to the TV and check the settings. Have they actually changed?

If the settings have changed, set them the way they do work and reboot. Does it reboot OK?

If it does reboot OK, then shut down and unplug the server for 30 seconds, then plug it back it and power it up. Does it still boot OK? Have the settings changed?

There are 2 things I can think of right off: 1) like you said, the battery could be dead 2) perhaps you're not actually saving the BIOS settings before you exit (I know, this is a slim possibility, but it has happened before, so it needs to be asked/checked).

• Like 1

pandemonium

The first thing I would do is take it back to the TV and check the settings. Have they actually changed?

If the settings have changed, set them the way they do work and reboot. Does it reboot OK?

If it does reboot OK, then shut down and unplug the server for 30 seconds, then plug it back it and power it up. Does it still boot OK? Have the settings changed?

There are 2 things I can think of right off: 1) like you said, the battery could be dead 2) perhaps you're not actually saving the BIOS settings before you exit (I know, this is a slim possibility, but it has happened before, so it needs to be asked/checked).

Thanks ikon... so, here's what happens when I do as you suggested...

1. Yes - they've gone back to defaults
  2. Reboots OK after changes and I can see the 5th Drive... as I said earlier, when I unplug the Microserver, the settings get lost
  3. Boots OK, but, I can't see the 5th drive now (which is in the ODD bay)
  4. No chance that I didn't save the settings... did this at least twice and same thing...

I'm thinking battery too... but schoon's mentioned some links... and I'm venturing my way there to read up. Perhaps its not the battery after all...!

Thanks schoondoggy... reading up now...

ikon

One good thing is that, if it doesn't turn out to be Xpenology's fault, it's cheap and easy to change the battery. :)

• Like 1

pandemonium

Update... settings persist if the power schedule is turned off... means the battery is fine and its XPENOLOGY's fault :P

To be fair... this is the 1st real issue I've had with XPenology since nearly 8-9 months of using it on my main NAS. Still impressed. Wish there was a way out of this... i.e. have the power schedule working as per my needs and yet not have the bios reset on me each time it booted.

I've done some more testing on this... it seems that the POWER UP affects the BIOS resets... not the SHUTDOWN. I've just managed to reboot the microserver 2-3 times without the BIOS losing settings. Unplugging the cable also doesn't lose the settings if only SHUTDOWN is enabled in the power scheduler.

So, part of my problem is solved - i.e. I can shutdown the server based on a daily schedule. Wish I could get the startup schedule working too. WOL might be a way out for me... need to go find its tutorials now... and if it works on the microserver. I had tried earlier, but gave up after a while.

Cheers for the links schoondoggy...

ikon

IIRC, the MicroServers don't support the right Sleep Mode for WoL to work. However, it's really easy to test. Just download mcwol.exe. To use it, you just run mcwol.exe aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff (the MAC address of the MicroServer's NIC) from another computer on the LAN.

A couple of questions:

1. I think this is the first mention you've made to a "power schedule". I'm not sure what you mean by it. Are you using some particular feature of DSM/Xpenology? If so, what is it?

2. Do you think that leaving an XPenology box on 24/7 would avoid this issue? What do you think would happen such a server is powered down?

pandemonium

Thanks ikon,

I'll do as suggested in a bit. As for your questions...

1. I'm sorry for not mentioning the power schedule earlier... but, I didn't know better. I didn't realise that it could be the reason behind the BIOS issue to be honest. I only found this out after going through the links that schoondoggy kindly gave above.

Half-way through reading them, it seemed that if one had a power schedule setup to start-up/shutdown the microserver on a schedule, it makes XPenology's knickers get themselves in a twist... this makes it overwrite the BIOS and reset its settings.

I played about with it some more and it seems that the shutdown commands are NOT a problem... the startup command is the actual culprit. I've corroborated this with other users' experiences from those threads as I wanted to be sure (went back and read through the whole threads).

2. If one were to make the BIOS changes and then keep the server running 24/7, the server would function as desired as long as it wasn't shutdown... but this is silly, as this would mean that there is no scheduled startup/shutdown... which was what was causing the issue in the first place - remember, the power schedule's startup command is what is causing this BIOS reset.

In other words - if there were NO power schedule setup (in particular - startups), then the BIOS settings will persist and the server will function as desired - and one can manually startup & shutdown the server as many times as we want.

The attached screenshot proves that I have a working SHUTDOWN scheduled setup for 1am every morning. Although this means that I have to manually STARTUP the server using the power button, at least the server will automatically shutdown every morning at 1am.

I can confirm that I have 5 x 3Tb WD Reds & 1 x 60Gb 2.5" Toshiba running using the modified HP BIOS released late 2014.

Screen Shot 2015-02-16 at 22.04.09.jpg

The other alternative I have, of course, is to have it running 24/7. But, I can live with having to startup the server when I need it. Annoying yes... but, I suppose, worth the savings when compared to the servers flexibility and cost. That's why I said a WOL would be perfect... If there was a way I could kick off a WOL from my phone/etc, it would be perfect.

Edited by pandemonium

pandemonium

Sorry... forgot to add the screenshot for the drives...

Screen Shot 2015-02-16 at 22.44.11.jpg

Request to mods/admin: It may make more sense to change the title of this thread to be something more related to the XPenology issue, and, move it to the XPenology/Synology section - say "XPenology Issue With Startup Power Schedules". When I started the thread, I thought it was Microserver related... didn't think it'll turn out to be XPenology related in the least.

Edited by pandemonium

ikon

Thanks pandemonium. I do have an XPenology instance running (it's about 4 ft from me ATM :) but I've never looked at the Power Schedule applet you're using.

I just had a look at Power Schedule. I see it can schedule Startup or Shutdown. As you suggested, I suspect it's the Startup scheduled entries that cause the problems.

Here's a possible alternative. I don't have a MicroServer to look at, but why not check its BIOS to see if there is a Startup capability there. If there is, you could maybe use XPenology to shut down the server at a specific and its own BIOS to wake it up at another time.