RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Image to SSD or Raid rebuild to SSD

Joe Hoopfer

Windows Server 2012 R2

Intel Xeon CPU E3-1220L V2

16 Gb Ram

Good afternoon all,

My G8 is currently configured with two 500 Gb very noisy drives.  The drives are partitioned at 236 Gb for the C drive.

Is it possible or has anyone every had the mirror removed and have the system rebuild to the SSD at 240 Gb?

When I try the system tells me there is a drive error and it cannot be rebuilt.

As an alternative, I built a windows image of the bare bones system and was going to try and recover the image the new pair of SSD's but when I get to the recover from image portion of server 2012 R2, it tells me it cannot find the drives.

So, would anyone have any recommendations on how I can convert my noisy 500 Gb (236 Gb partioned) system into a quiet 240 SSD system?

Thank you

Joe

Take one of the HDDs, move it to another Windows computer, use Acronis, Paragon, or EaseUS to make an image of the HDD, then disconnect the HDD and connect one of the SSDs and restore the HDD image to it.

Are you using the RAID controller, or Dynamic disks?

Either way, Server Backup would be another way to restore to a smaller disk. Just remember that you need to have the system partition SMALLER than the destination drive when you back up.

Windows Server 2012 R2

Intel Xeon CPU E3-1220L V2

16 Gb Ram

Good afternoon all,

My G8 is currently configured with two 500 Gb very noisy drives.  The drives are partitioned at 236 Gb for the C drive.

Is it possible or has anyone every had the mirror removed and have the system rebuild to the SSD at 240 Gb?

When I try the system tells me there is a drive error and it cannot be rebuilt.

As an alternative, I built a windows image of the bare bones system and was going to try and recover the image the new pair of SSD's but when I get to the recover from image portion of server 2012 R2, it tells me it cannot find the drives.

So, would anyone have any recommendations on how I can convert my noisy 500 Gb (236 Gb partioned) system into a quiet 240 SSD system?

Thank you

Joe

If the two 500GB drives are mirrored on the B120i, splitting the mirror is possible, but the rebuild to the SSD will fail because the controller will try to rebuild the 500GB mirror not just the boot partition. Where are you going to install the SSD? You could plug the SSD into the ODD port and set it up as a RAID0 then use one of the copy tools listed above to move your boot partition to the SSD. Then I would remove your 500GB drives and boot the system to the SSD. Can you wipe the 500GB drives to start fresh? If not you will need to play with a partition manger to remove the old boot partition.