RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Problems restoring files from client backup

To help us get to the bottom of this problem, can you please let us know what the "same answer" is. A screen shot if possible.

Maybe, you could list the steps you take and the result for each step.

Also, have you tried this on different clients?

Finally, are you using SkipDomianJoin or using a Domain?

I have run this on numerous clients with SkipDomainJoin and have had no issues.

I suspect you may be leaving a step out or misinterpreting what you need to do to get this to work.

I did the raw install and downloaded the patch (TN Client connector.) The  patch installed flawlessly. I attempted to download the connector software from the server and was unable to connect. I do not remember the exact message I got, but I was not able to connect to the server except through remotes desktop. Finding out that my computer would not be backed up I decided to revert back to a known good point of windows 7. I booted to my usb disk created from the server and 1 hour later I was back working flawlessly with the server. Our server is used in a home for backup of 2 computers along with a media server for the home. My wife and I are starting to get up there in age and she does not want to relearn her computer on Windows 10 so all must be done from my laptop.

Currently there is no problem as I will just wait until the November 17 update from MS and tackle this again. Thanks all for your help and concern on this matter and the guidance that you have given me. I will update my status and result here after installing the updates. Oh and I will be doing the SkipDomainJoin as I often take my laptop when traveling.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• Jay2001

• SusanBradley

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Status report 2-24-2015 Case has been opened with Microsoft.  It [interestingly enough] only impacts 2012 R2 Essentials and no other platform.  If you remove KB3023562 from the client, the restore wi

A case raised by Susan Bradley will be looked into immediately.  I can assure you of that.   I have more respect for her when it comes to Windows Servers than anyone else I have listened to.

Confirmed as well. A backup is opening for restore as I type this, just waiting for a different computer to finish backing up. When I tried this yesterday, it was Crash City. So it's good to see the h

Drashna Jaelre

I did the raw install and downloaded the patch (TN Client connector.) The  patch installed flawlessly. I attempted to download the connector software from the server and was unable to connect. I do not remember the exact message I got, but I was not able to connect to the server except through remotes desktop. Finding out that my computer would not be backed up I decided to revert back to a known good point of windows 7. I booted to my usb disk created from the server and 1 hour later I was back working flawlessly with the server. Our server is used in a home for backup of 2 computers along with a media server for the home. My wife and I are starting to get up there in age and she does not want to relearn her computer on Windows 10 so all must be done from my laptop.

Currently there is no problem as I will just wait until the November 17 update from MS and tackle this again. Thanks all for your help and concern on this matter and the guidance that you have given me. I will update my status and result here after installing the updates. Oh and I will be doing the SkipDomainJoin as I often take my laptop when traveling.

That's the problem. it's not a "patch".  It's the connector software. Once you've run it, you should not download it from the server. (in fact, literally all the server download does is go to Windows update and download the release version and install it). 

Once you've installed the "Patch", you need to run the configuration on the client. Running the server download will error out, period. 

Basically, all you need to do at this point is run "C:\Windows\System32\Essentials\ClientDeploy.exe" .

Basically, all you need to do at this point is run "C:\Windows\System32\Essentials\ClientDeploy.exe" .

Or

Start, Search, Windows Server Essentials Connector Configuration Wizard

Note: You do need to redo the SkipDomainJoin reg add command first, as it gets removed during the Windows 10 Upgrade process (and also most Fast Ring Upgrades as well)

Edited by oceang
  • 1 month later...
cadprofessor

Just finished doing a 2012 R2 Ess install.  Testing the client that is running Windows 7 pro 32bit.  The client backed up fine.  Then I discovered the issue about the restore wizard.  I found the hotfixes and download the one listed for x386, fix 532925. I can not get it to install. I keep getting the update is not applicable to your computer message.   Do I also need the hotfix to run on the server?  Thanks for any help or advise.

Edited by cadprofessor
cadprofessor

I forgot to mention that the server and the Win 7 client have all their updates applied.  There are several other clients running Win 7Pro 64 bit.  The other clients are off for the weekend and I can not test them.  All client connection software was install by  skipping the join domain process.  Thanks again.

cadprofessor

I want to let you know that I did get the hotfix to work.  I used zip7 to decompress the file into a folder before running it on the client.  One down four to go......

• 4 months later...
WHS_Refugee

OK uninstalling all 4 updates off client pc works

- First uninstall KB3023562 (original bad update) if you havent done so allready.

- Second Uninstall KB3046049

- Third uninstall in this order now (saying that because there was a particular order you were supposed to install them as described on microsofts website)

First - KB3033929

Second - KB3035131

(some of you may only have to uninstall the first one as these two updates were dependant upon one being installed before the other)

This worked for me not saying that it isnt just one of these updates causing the problem. However i did have KB3023562 (origional bad update), KB3031531, KB3033929 all uninstalled at the same time with no luck then reinstalling them and working backwrd as described above did end up working for me.

PS all updates are installed on the server machine

Okay, it's 13 months down the road, and I'm having the same problem, trying to restore files to a Windows 7 x64 client.  I've uninstalled the four updates in the order above, but the restore wizard is still crashing.  Does anyone out there have any ideas?  Thanks.