RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Problems restoring files from client backup

Poppapete

Does that mean there are not too many on 2012 R2 E?

Also confirming I uninstalled the offender (only from the clients) and all is working.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• Jay2001

• SusanBradley

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Status report 2-24-2015 Case has been opened with Microsoft.  It [interestingly enough] only impacts 2012 R2 Essentials and no other platform.  If you remove KB3023562 from the client, the restore wi

A case raised by Susan Bradley will be looked into immediately.  I can assure you of that.   I have more respect for her when it comes to Windows Servers than anyone else I have listened to.

Confirmed as well. A backup is opening for restore as I type this, just waiting for a different computer to finish backing up. When I tried this yesterday, it was Crash City. So it's good to see the h

Does that mean there are not too many on 2012 R2 E?

Also confirming I uninstalled the offender (only from the clients) and all is working.

Either that or someone has not tried to do a restore yet.

Steve Pitts

Had the same issue.....eventually narrowed it down to the KB3023562 update.  I removed this update on all three machines that I had installed this on and all is fine now.

Chapeau sir (or madam)!! No idea what hoops you jumped through to find that, but I too can confirm that uninstalling that update from the client resolves the issue. Since I've only just set this all up and was trying my first restores I would never have found this because I had no 'it was working before so what has changed' to fall back on. Edited by Steve Pitts

I suspected it was the last batch of MS security updates because I taken the updates on 3 of my machines (2 Win7Pro and one Win8.1)  and they had all exhibited the same restore error.  I had one other machine which I had not updated and I was able to restore a file just fine.  From there it was a process of finding which one was the offending update.  I did a system restore of one of the broken machines prior to the updates and retested.....all was fine.  Then it was just a matter of applying each update (one by one) and testing each until I came to the KB3023562 which ultimately caused the issue.

I should also mention that although I have this same security update (KB3023562) installed on my Essentials server, I was able to restore a file from one of my server backups just fine.

I should also mention that although I have this same security update (KB3023562) installed on my Essentials server, I was able to restore a file from one of my server backups just fine.

Do you have it installed on you clients? I really think that's the key.

No, I do not have it installed on any of my clients because that is where I was experiencing the issue.  I was merely answering a question someone had posted earlier about whether or not the same update installed on the server was causing any issues.  They thought that maybe having this update on the server may prevent someone from restoring files from a server backup. I tested this out and found no issues whatsoever.