RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Problems restoring files from client backup

Steve Pitts

Folks,

The WSS 2012 R2 Essentials dashboard tells me that it is successfully backing up my computers, but when I fire up the Dashboard from the client PCs (I've tried both my Windows 8.1 work horse and the Windows 7 gaming rig) and try to restore files I get a crash the moment I select a disk (I see a list of backups, choose the latest one, which presents me with icons for the C and D drives, but whichever I choose I get an immediate error (Restore File and Folders wizard has stopped working). Each such crash generates these two event log entries:

Log Name: Application

Source: .NET Runtime

Date: 12/02/2015 21:32:17

Event ID: 1026

Task Category: None

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: NEMES*********************

Description:

Application: MountBackupWizard.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

Exception Info: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException

Stack:

at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(System.Object, System.Object[], System.Signature, Boolean)

at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(System.Object, System.Object[], System.Object[])

at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(System.Object[])

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(System.Object)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG ByRef)

at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG ByRef)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr, Int32, Int32)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext)

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.UI.Program.Main(System.String[])

Log Name: Application

Source: Application Error

Date: 12/02/2015 21:32:17

Event ID: 1000

Task Category: (100)

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: NEMES*********************

Description:

Faulting application name: MountBackupWizard.exe, version: 6.3.9600.16384, time stamp: 0x5215cf3c

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18409, time stamp: 0x5315a05a

Exception code: 0xe0434352

Fault offset: 0x000000000000940d

Faulting process id: 0x1a08

Faulting application start time: 0x01d0470b5ca7efaf

Faulting application path: C:\Windows\System32\Essentials\MountBackupWizard.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll

Report Id: 9da7accf-b2fe-11e4-855b-1c6f65c834a4

Are others able to do individual file restores?? I wondered initially whether this might be permissions related, since my day-to-day user does not have admin rights, but I've tried logging on using an account that does have admin rights on the local PC (and I obviously have to give domain administrator credentials to get the dashboard up) with the same result. The only other oddity about my setups is all that all have a G partition that is excluded from the backup, but I don't see how that could be playing into this.

Having the same issue here noticed this today I belive although im not sure. I think it has something to do with the updates that were released on tuesday. everything was fine before they were installed.

Having the same issue here noticed this today I belive although im not sure. I think it has something to do with the updates that were released on tuesday. everything was fine before they were installed.

That's an interesting observation, and a perfect reason to ensure your server OS is being backed up every day using WSB,

Yeah, it would be good for everyone running WSE2012R2 to check their own situation, so they don't get a nasty surprise if they truly need to do a Restore.

Had the same issue.....eventually narrowed it down to the KB3023562 update.  I removed this update on all three machines that I had installed this on and all is fine now.

Had the same issue.....eventually narrowed it down to the KB3023562 update.  I removed this update on all three machines that I had installed this on and all is fine now.

Yes verified this as a workaround also. This update is causing the issues.

How do we go about letting microsoft know about issues like these?

Edited by Jay2001

Ditto here. I get "Restore Files & Folders Wizard has stopped Working"

Have tried on 2 clients on files from different days. Same result.

What to do!!!!!

I think it was a security update on everything 8.  Its on my clients and the server and was automatically installed 13/02/2015 here in Australia.