RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

PSU fan on full at all times

killfile

I've had a Gen8 Microserver for a few days, and today I noticed that the PSU fan is running at very high speed all of a sudden. The main fan is running at 6%, according to iLo. I can't see a speed reading for the PSU fan. It didn't do this initially, even with 4x HD installed.

I've reset the BIOS, upgraded the firmware and removed all the drives. It's back to it's stock out-of-the-box configuration, but the PSU fan still sounds like a maddened mosquito.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Are you sure the fan is actually running faster, or is it just a lot noisier? If it's the latter, it could simply be that the fan has developed a problem.

I think it's definitely running faster. It reminds me of the DL320's I use at work, before they throttle down. This just never throttles down!

Are PSU fans generally also controlled? Does anyone know? What determines the speed?

They're controlled by a thermistor on the heat sink inside the PSU.  They have a rudimentary control by the PSU itself.  It's got nothing to do with the server itself.

The PSU fan is annoying in the Gen8, its the main reason I abandoned mine.  That 40mm screaming away just grates.

Seems like the fan can be replaced. Probably some cutting cables involved though. 

I'm sure the fan can be replaced. It's possible that the fan is connected to the PSU motherboard with a Molex-style connector, but it's more likely it's soldered. In that case, a soldering iron would come in handy.

As it failed within a couple of days of purchase, the retailer is replacing the whole unit under warranty. 

As an aside, I've discovered that the PSU is just a standard Flex-ATX Type 1 PSU, so replacing it shouldn't be too much of an issue if anyone had to. They start at about $35 on Amazon, and are available in capacities up to 350w.

• Like 1