RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
ikon

Old dude stuff

ikon

I finally ran out of fan-fold paper, although I think there's still some in a box of university course reports.... somewhere in the house. I know I still have some 80 column punch cards. They make fantastic bookmarks and note cards — just stiff enough to be really useful but not so thick as to be burdensome.

HellDiverUK

I still have, and sometimes still use an old Citizen Swift 9 dot matrix.  It even has the colour kit (a little motor that tilts a CMYK ribbon up and down.  30 minutes for a terrible looking full colour picture.  I do have a Swift 124D as well, but it's parallel port is stuffed, though it does still work over serial.  I'm sure it'll be useful sometime.

schoondoggy

I still have a Epson 24pin I use when I want to print out a report, like we did back in the old days!

oj88

My first few years in IT has been spent repairing all sorts of printers: Line printers, dot matrix, laser/LED, and a bit later, ink jets.

I really hate opening up Epson dot matrix printers. They have like a million parts and you will have to remove a LOT to access even a minor component. On the other hand, my favorite were printers made by Oki. These were easy to tear down and repair.

I also had the unfortunate opportunity to work on C.Itoh line printers... repairing/calibrating print heads, among others. It wasn't particularly fun.

ikon

Did you ever work on the IBM 140o line?

oj88

Did you ever work on the IBM 140o line?

Nope. We didn't carry the IBM brand.

Diligent

I'm not as 'seasoned' as some of our excellent professionals on this site, but my first REAL system that I got to work with was the Air Force CAS-B system in the early 90's. It's even listed as a credit on my USAF college transcript...LOL! I worked on nukes and conventional 'goodies' in the USAF.

ikon

'Seasoned' is such a polite word for it. Overdone like shoe leather might be closer to the truth ;)

HellDiverUK

On the other hand, my favorite were printers made by Oki. These were easy to tear down and repair.

Oki 321 and 391.  I spent a year replacing those stupid little cogs at the end of the platen that always broke.  Sometimes the gears in the head that moved the ribbon.  But otherwise solid little printers. 

Also spent a lot of time on Laserjet 4 units.  A lot of customers used them like they were Laserjet 5Si.  Some of them had well over 1million pages on the clock.  One was heading towards 2 million.  Mostly fusers.

Finally, we had a lot of hospitals and factories that used the Genicom 3810.  Big brute of an 18-pin dot matrix.  Total nightmare to set up because the menus printed out on paper, so by the time you got it set up you'd used about 50 pages.  Most of those users had them hooked up to old IBM mainframes, so setting up the interfaces were a nightmare.  I tended to try and fix the mechanical issue rather than waste an hour swapping in a spare, then swapping back later.