RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
pressieguy

picopsu in N40L

pressieguy

Hi there,

im complete newbie (and probably sound dumb asking these questions) and its been a while since i fiddled around with my N40L. 

My N40L PSU died just recently and im looking at replacing it with a picopsu. im a bit confused whether my components can handle it.

• my N40L has a Radeon 5450
  • 2x4GB DDR3 RAM
  • 1 sata 280GB 
  • and 4TB hard disk.
  • i may use external usb hard drives and other bits and bobs in the usb ports.

Sadly, i cant remember what else i had built this up with. 

was wondering if anyone would know if a picopsu 150w be enough to power this?

ive tried using power supply calculator however its saying it recommends 185w of power and pico doesnt go that high.

any help be much appreciated and please let me know if i need more information about my build.

thanks

Edited by pressieguy

ikon

Someone else had problems doing this. IIRC, when he attached the picoPSU, his SATA drives would not power up, at least not properly. When he installed a proper HP PSU everything worked fine. I speculated that it might have something to do with the 12V rail not having enough capacity.

yud

Hi there,

im complete newbie (and probably sound dumb asking these questions) and its been a while since i fiddled around with my N40L. 

My N40L PSU died just recently and im looking at replacing it with a picopsu. im a bit confused whether my components can handle it.

• my N40L has a Radeon 5450
  • 2x4GB DDR3 RAM
  • 1 sata 280GB 
  • and 4TB hard disk.
  • i may use external usb hard drives and other bits and bobs in the usb ports.

Sadly, i cant remember what else i had built this up with. 

was wondering if anyone would know if a picopsu 150w be enough to power this?

ive tried using power supply calculator however its saying it recommends 185w of power and pico doesnt go that high.

any help be much appreciated and please let me know if i need more information about my build.

thanks

I used a 120w Pico PS, first with my old N36L, then with my current N54L. I had 4 x HDD's in 2 x RAID1 arrays.

It was working flawlessly, until I made the following changes:

* replaced Adaptec 2405 RAID controller with the HP P410

* added RAC

When I made those changes my HDD's started disappearing intermittently (as mention by @ikon above).

I then put the original HP PS back and the N54L is running smoothly since.

Looking at your config it looks like you only have 2 x HDD's, no RAID controller and no other controllers to draw power. So I believe the 150w Pico should work fine for you. But there is only one way to find out...

Hope this helps.

pressieguy

Great, thanks for the help guys. i ran different Power supply calculator and this time its saying i only need 84W. i might just get the 150W anways incase i plan to upgrade in future.

ikon

I always go for a  PSU that has twice the capacity I actually need. That way, the PSU can normally run in it's sweet spot. So I think a 150W PSU is a good choice.

yud

I always go for a  PSU that has twice the capacity I actually need. That way, the PSU can normally run in it's sweet spot. So I think a 150W PSU is a good choice.

Just FYI:

I measured power consumption of the N54L with my full config (N54L + P410 + 4 x HDD's + RAC) for several weeks and it was only consuming 67w-75w.

My Pico PSU was 120w, so I thought it should happily handle this load.

As it turned out it did not.

So either the actual consumption does not tell the whole story, or ikon is correct and it has something to do with the 12v rail.

ikon

In truth, over subscription on any of the rails will cause problems; it's just that the 12V is the one that seems to be most often overtaxed.

pressieguy

is there a way to measure this rails?

ikon

I'm sure there is, but my electronics knowledge is too little to know how. Most power supplies do specify the amperage capacities of the various rails, at least the good ones. And I only recommend buying name brand power supplies.