RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Seagate ST3000DM001 Data Corruption

Technogod

I thought I had StableBit DrivePool issues or problems with SyncToy. Turns out it was those darn Seagate ST3000DM001 drives. I had another one die. After replacing the drive and during syncing of my two 10TB drive pools another ST3000DM001 caused data corruption.

Solution: Recovered data using Recuva software. Fixed permission problems on other drives in StableBit DrivePool. Added WESTERN DIGITAL 3TB drives to DrivePool and removed all ST3000DM001 drives from the DrivePool. Here's the interesting part. I have two CineRAID USB3 4 drive bays. I took the ST3000DM001 drives and installed them in one CineRAID and created a 10.9TB RAID 0 array. The other CINERAID I used a StableBit DrivePool 10TB drive with WD 3TB x 3 and WD 2TB. When I sync the two instead of data corruption. Intermittently the RAID array will report a delayed write failure but will continue syncing data. The only data effected is the StableBit TMP files. At least I'm still able to use these drives for backup. The drives definitely have a problem but it is much less severe in a RAID configuration as opposed to a StableBit DrivePool.

• Like 1

Seagate should offer a trade-in program that allows you to get a credit toward some other drive model.

Yeah, something made by WD.  

I'm done with Seagate, I doubt I'll use them again any time soon.  I do still have a pair of ST4000DM001, and so far they've been fine, but I only use them for backing up.  Other than them, I have no Seagate drives at all, everything is either WD, HGST or Toshiba.

The problem is that Seagate does make good drives. The ST4000DM001 model just doesn't happen to be one of them. The other problem, one I've detailed in other threads, is that Seagate makes it much too hard to identify specific drive models or model lines. Because of that, a single problematic drive model like the ST4000DM001 can make people, like you, completely shun every model of drive Seagate makes. I personally think it's a major strategic mistake on Seagate's part.

The problem is that Seagate does make good drives. The ST4000DM001 model just doesn't happen to be one of them. The other problem, one I've detailed in other threads, is that Seagate makes it much too hard to identify specific drive models or model lines. Because of that, a single problematic drive model like the ST4000DM001 can make people, like you, completely shun every model of drive Seagate makes. I personally think it's a major strategic mistake on Seagate's part.

What issues are people having with the ST4000DM001?

Thanks schoondoggy - I missed the 4 in the model name. Yeah, it's the ST3000DM001 that have given BackBlaze and so many others so many problems.

In a way though, that proves my point: it's way too easy to misidentify good Seagate drives as some of the bad ones.

I quite like my ST4000DM001 drives, I've had sterling service from them.  They were shucked from external drives, they've been used in a server, they've been used as bare drives for backups, and they've been used for transferring data between servers usually hanging by their cables out the side of some machine for days.

The ST3000DM001 is a turd, though.  

I also have an old  ST33000651AS, which is a Barracuda XT.  It's a nice drive, it had 2 years running 24/7 in a plastic box (Seagate GoFlex), then I ripped the mech out of it, and now I run it in another machine doing local Crashplan backups.  It's noisy, it's hot, but it works.