RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Should I leave WHS 2011 for 2012 R2?

Don W

Since I am having such a pain in the ass trying to install 2012 R2, I am trying to decide if it is even worth it??? I eventually will switch over but 2011 works for me. I don't trust bare metal backups in 2011 but I think that is the only advantage 2012 R2 has for me. Why are you all switching over??? Did you find it all you had wanted???

TIA

Don

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• nrf

• Steve Pitts

Top Posters In This Topic

WHS 2011 is a bit flaky until I ran across this video from Tim Daleo.  I can restore Clients from a third party, with no issues.

I'm actually straddling a migration to 2012r2. In general I like the more modern aspects of it, but I have found that I can't bare-metal restore older client computers that don't support NX/Data Execution Protection. Someday I may be able to hack that but for now I am keeping my old server around. I had my win8.1 client join the domain but because 2012r2 essentials discriminates against that os by not migrating my settings to the domain account, I am still logging in under my old local account. I have come to the realization that there is benefit from joining the clients to the domain even if you stick with the local login ides - you can propagate settings to your various pcs by doing it 'once' and letting group policy spread - for example, some vaccination against cryptolocker could be propagated this way. So for me, I am still up in the air / hanging fire on the whole transition.

nrf

I think more and more as the operating system progresses, read Windows 10, you will need to be with 2012.  I migrated about a month ago, and haven't had any issues.

thanks for pointing out that video, it provides an interesting alternative to the usb key, which for me has been fine. I tried playing with the analog of this in 2012r2e but no joy so far.

Edited by nrf

It's been my experience that most of the issues with BMR come from a lack of drivers. I have used the above quite often even to the point where I had backed up a client and shipped them the drive, they installed the HDD and went back to work.

I've had 2 issues with WHS2011 BMR.

The first is what jmwills pointed out: drivers. I have a bright red USB stick that I keep around that has a bunch of drivers on it. It's only 125MB, so it isn't much good for anything else anyway.

The second is restoring to SSDs. I've found that at least some SSDs don't respond well to the WHS2011 Recovery Wizard's attempts to automatically manage the partitions. So, I jump into the included Disk Manager, delete the partitions, and recreate them. The difference is that I don't don't give the partitions any drive letters, and I don't format them. So far, this has worked perfectly every time.

The hassle created by Domain Accounts not inheriting all the settings/programs/etc. from the local accounts they replace is one of the main reasons I haven't gone back to using a Domain. What you can do is use the File and Settings Transfer Wizard. It will migrate most of the settings for you, but it won't do all the programs for you.

re: the wizard - I don't have time to mess with that and see little reason to bother :)

I am told win7 users get a much better experience in that regard